IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I live in Portland. Have been fishing around the Portland area for about 5 years. Mainly for sturgeon and a little bit for salmon and steelhead. Would like to learn how to catch some walleyes. I own a 16ft Starcraft that I use for fishing but I also enjoy using it for waterskiing when it gets hot. I work for the airlines so I have a varied schedule with a lot of weekdays off, my friend GreenButtSkunk said ifish would be a good place to hook up with some people who have some time off during the week also.

GBS also said that it is customary for new people at ifish to tell a short story. Ok, well here goes. GBS and I were springer fishing just downriver from the rail road bridge in Milwaukee. It was a hot sunny day with about 40 other boats all bumping around in one spot.

Enough fish were being caught that nobody was getting discouraged and leaving. Every ten or fifteen minutes you would see someone hookup a nice fish. I was bouncing a pink prawn with a small green corky and a 18 inch dropper when I finally got a takedown. We used the kicker motor to maneuver us over to the side away from the other boats and left in just enough power to hold us in the current.

The fish came in easy, too easy a nice big fat springer. I brought him up next to the boat and GBS went to scoop him up with the net and then he went ballistic. After thrashing around on the side of the boat he made a blistering run down stream in the top of the water about 30feet behind the boat, and then he made an immediate 180 degree turn and made another full speed run back at the boat ramming the propeller on our still running kicker motor, snap! Say goodbye fish.

It’s a bummer to lose a nice fish but it’s ten times worse to do it in front of a very large crowd and everybody is watching! We got lots of nice encouraging comments like, “Boooo,” “Loser,” “You suck,” and “Somebody needs to learn how to net a fish!” just to name a few. The only thing we came home with that day was a really good sunburn and a lesson.

Sometimes it’s the fish that got away that stays burned in your memory longer than the fish that you actually caught! and also never forget the sunscreen even if the day starts out cloudy.

Well thats it, see you on the water :cheers:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome aboard Captian!!!! Wish I lived closer, I bet we could manage some fish in the net. You'll find some good people to fish with here. It's a pretty good crowd.

Keep me posted on the fishing. Might be able to swing a trip later in April.
DB

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome aboard LeadBaron! Keep in mind that those folks that haven't lost a fish haven't fished much. :dance:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Welcome ABOARD :angel1: :dance:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Welcome to Ifish, any friend of GBS is a friend of mine. Even if he did miss the net on your fish :smash:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts