IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site so I thought I would tell a little about my self and my first fish. This is my first year of fishing. Actually I fished for some catfish in the early 80's with my Grandad. Any way I started fishing March 19th of this year. I had been fishing every day for about two weeks before work. Well I wake up on a Thursday Morning and don't really feel like fishing I know I am not going to catch anything but my son wakes up he is 1 yr old and my wife tells me it is my turn I then proceed to tell her I am going fishing. I go to the river and start fishing I wasn't down there 15 minutes before I get a huge snag or that is what I thought it was then Line starts comeing off and my rod starts bounceing. My heart starts raceing I have got a fish on I didn't quite know what to do till someone yells pick your rod tip up. I pick it up and my sences start to come back I faught the fish for about 7 or 8 minutes untill he was landed. A nic e Hatchery steelhead I had to ask someone if this wa a keeper for I had never seen a steelhead before and didn't know it that little nub on the back was a fin or not. I filled out my punch card and start to take my fish home. I get home and my hands were all tore up I didn't bonk my fish so he was still quite alive when I got home. I soon realize I have left my pole at the river and my fishing vest. I go back and I was very lucky that a guy there who I had seen quite a bit was watching my stuff for me. I have been hooked on fishing every since that day.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Welcome! Good story. Most of of us have done similar things. It's called "steelhead fever". Makes you lose your ability to think clearly

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Great story!

I remember those days of not knowing what was what!

I remember a friend from California landing a huge dark chinook and being so excited until someone started telling him he shouldn't keep it!

It was so gross! :smile: Skin was peeling off, and he was just jumping up and down with joy. How do you go about killing that joy? Delicately!

Truth be told, I released all my steelies at first cuz I didn't know which ones to keep or not, either!

Just pick up a reg book and read it... and that, I did!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Oh and BTW: This rookie (Ratbaby) proceed to catch three nice steelies on the NFL in the past couple weeks.

I'm starting to wonder just how much a rookie he really is? :wink:

Welcome to Ifish Randy. :cheers: I will be out Friday night.

:smile:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Welcome aboard randy. The people here are great. :cheers:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Welcome aboard,
Learn Fish,
Love Fish,
Teach Fish, And youll be fine.
Good story.
Fire :cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx for the wellm welcome. Had a good weekend fishing caught my first Salmon was a Chinook. Snagged him in the throught with some store bought eggs.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
some of us are sensitive to the word "snagged" :shocked:
Welcome aboard! Thanks for the story, been there too.

[ 09-04-2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TundraIII I did say snagged in the throat I was joking It swallowed my eggs and the hook was so deep I couldn't find it till I got home. :smile:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ratbaby,
welcome to a great bunch of guys & gals, there is always someone here with just the info you need or the place to get it, as well as where and how to find the fish.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ratbaby,
welcome to a great bunch of guys & gals, there is always someone here with just the info you need or the place to get it, as well as where and how to find the fish.

·
Registered
215 Posts
...but my son wakes up he is 1 yr old and my wife tells me it is my turn I then proceed to tell her I am going fishing
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Why didn't I think of that line to my wife when the little lad wakes up early? Am sure it would work smashingly!

Welcome aboard RB!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts