IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see as a requirement for asking advice is that a newbie must present a fishing story. Before I do that I would like to say I have been religously following ifish for information over the last 2 years and want to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and some secrets.
My story is not flashy but it's the best I have had to date. I brought fishing back into my life from a lengthy time of not participating. I bought and older boat got a cheap pole and reel and some tackle I remembered from the early years of fishing(like in the 70's). Got out on the Nehalem a year Labor Day and fished it 3 days a week for two months. Had some pretty fair success, not from the old way of fishing but by reading this forum and learning through all of your ideas.
My fiancee' went out with me twice on fallies, and twice on springer on MC. This year I decided to spend my time learning the Siletz(picked a bad year,LOL) I have fished it 3 days a week as well since Labor Day. Now you probably see that I have a limited amount of experience but here is the best part of the story.
On 9/22, Saturday my lovely she and I were going to going fishing,her 5th time out,and no fish for her yet. I had went out the day before with two friends and we ran the whole river from 7 am till 8 pm. After loading his boat and driving back to metro area it was almost 12 o'clock. I told her we would go on Sunday instead.
Sunday we started trolling (kwickies) at about 7:30 and fished some of the areas that were kinda (had fish on but lost) productive Friday. It started to rain and we saw no net flying so we oth decided to call it a day (10:30am). We were about 5 miles up stream and had a bit of a run down. I decided to start trolling through the area between Ballard Acres and Chinook Bend because we had to no wake and respect other fishing people. 5 minutes after poles are out she tells me I'm hung on bottom (reel was just screaming) I handed my pole of to her and ran the boat and watched her battle that fish for a good 20 minutes. I got the fish on board and after the usual tagging, bleeding, prancing around proud as hell. We took the slow trip down river and you all know how that goes every boat giving the:shrug: gestures, the first couple of boats I held up 1 finger and felt really good, being that on that day the ODFW guy said that only 5 other fish had been caufgt out of at least 150 poles if not more.
My bride-to-be is a bit reserved when it comes to showing a ton of jubulations about a fish but by the third or fourth boat she had the routen down and just drove the boat and smiled all the way back to the rig.
I know this was a bit of a lengthy story with not all the bells and whistles of some stories but I was able to get her first fish from technics I learned from all of you, my sincere thanks

·
Banned
5,459 Posts
Feels pretty good to drive by the other boats and be able to give a "thumbs up", rather than a "thumbs down".

Welcome to ifish, keep the stories coming.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Good story. My lady lost a big one last week when the reel seat broke loose and spun freely on a Green Joes Lami. She lost the fish and felt bad for two days, I told her it wasn't her fault, bless her heart.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I love giving someone in another boat the finger. Good story welcome to ifish.

·
Banned
343 Posts
Hung up on the bottom... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've heard that one before, always makes for a good post!!!!

Welcome aboard~~~~:cheers:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Way to go to get your future wife into fishing before you got married....
Welcome aboard!!!
btw:Good story... My first Springer I ever caught I swore to my buddy that I was snagged again and that he needed to speed up or something so my lead would not keep getting hooked up on the bottom... Just about then the snag started fighting back....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Welcome aboard.:wave:

·
Registered
714 Posts
That was a great story. Thanks and welcome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome. Hope to be able to share a few tricks with others looking to enjoy fishing as you have all provided for me.
BTW I forgot to mention that her first fish was 35" long hen tipping the scale at 21.5. Siletzmoorage.com has the picture under 9-23-07.
thanks to all for sharing your knowledge

1 - 20 of 20 Posts