IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW STREN Extra Strength????

I have a sweet spinning reel i got from Europe,but there they make them so small(because they use very light lines) that i can't get more than 100 yards of 8lb mono on it(~85 maxima because it is larger diameter). have you guys used this new extra strength Stren? i don't trust it too much, but i can't risk it an go for winter metal using 6lb test maxima...

anyone ever tried that stren?
thanks

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Re: NEW STREN Extra Strength????

yes, I used it last year for winter steelhead and never had one complaint. :wink:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

haha.... and what is " :wink: " supposed to mean.....

was it that bad??
thanks

·
Registered
12,322 Posts

Stren Extra Strength 10 lb. test, .012 diameter, clear. We used it this year in Alaska. Caught maybe 100 silvers on it. No problem.

[ 11-23-2003, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
644 Posts

Twenty-five years ago, I wouldn't have spooled Stren if you paid me. Switched to Maxima for leaders and Berkley for main, and never looked back. Dunno about todays version.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Got some STREN last year at the sportsmans show,free sample,I WOULDN'T use it for ANYTHING except wieght line! and it's marginal at that!

·
Registered
382 Posts

I have never been a Stren fan, but a buddy talked me into putting it on a new Daiwa Millionaire cv-z 300a two years ago and I have been very happy with it. I will keep using it.

I have used the 20Lbs Stren extra strength for the last two years for all my Springer and fall URB fishing from the boat.

It must be 30 Chinook without one line failure. Several 30 to 35 Lbs fish also.

I use a Rogue 808c heavy back bouncing rod and I show the fish no mercy. I always horse.

When hog line fishing, more then once we were ask by people as we were coming back into the line if we lost the fish because we would only drift 75 to 100 feet or so below the line and the fish would be in the boat, we were back in the line fishing within four or five minutes of the hook up. I always horse and the Stren extra strength so far has always held up..

One day Springer fishing a seal was after my fish (about a 20 lbs Chinook) The fish was going nut because the seal was chasing it. I thought I was going to loose the fish one way or the other so I just locked down my drag and brought the fish to the boat on plane, literally on the surface of the water, we dipped the fish with the seal hot after it, seal acted like he was going to follew the fish into the boat...the Stren extra strength held up!

Did I mention that I always horse? Some people in the hog lines don't use enough rod or heavy enough line for the fish they are after. There has been times that a boat next to us hooks up and cuts loose to chase a fish and we cut loose after them with a fish of our own, we boat our fish get back in the line and hook up again and boat our second before they are back with their first..But then this is a subject for a new thread..

·
Registered
523 Posts

My only experience with it is 8 and 10 # used for leader material only, on Summers and Winters. It worked fine for me, I particularly like its limpness.

Kevin

·
Registered
12,322 Posts

Oooh, Wright Angle, that is a cool reel. :bowdown:

·
Registered
382 Posts

Yes Thumper, they are great reels. I think people are missing out because they buy the competition , The Daiwa Millionaire of old was junk but the new completely redesigned Daiwa Millionaire is head and shoulders above the competition ..everyone buys Shimano Calcutta's then complains about the drag that won't stay put.,You always hear Calcutta owners talking about sending them out for better bearings and drag washers. Or warranty service on the drags.

why not just buy a reel that's ready to go?

I have not had one problem with my Daiwa Millionaire cv-z 300a ...so far it's bullet proof.

P.S. I do own flame proof long johns.

[ 11-23-2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
5,685 Posts

Been a big Stren fan all my life. They just keep getting better. The extra strength is good. Sensor is great but I can't find it anymore. :whazzup:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

I have had good luck with it in the 12# test.
Also Pline makes a good line called floroclear (sp)in 10# test .

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

If line diameter is you issue, use a superbraid. There are several good ones out there, and they are like 20 lb test with a diameter of 6 lb mono. You ought to look in the archives and ask around.

I use power pro and tuf line. Both have held up well and the stuff on my bass rod is 20 lb with 8 lb diameter. It is really strong, no stretch, and holds up well fishing cover.

My .02...

·
Registered
588 Posts

Thumper,

In your use of 10 lb test for salmon in Alaska...around here, this being my first year of learning to fish, I have used a diver for my coho fishing out of Tillamook. I have been advised to not use 10 lb line for this rigging...and that doing so will cause the loss of expensive setups.

How do you rig with the 10 lb line in Alaska...ie I presume you do something different than a diver rig? I don't have a down rigger at this time. :depressed:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts

Kayakfisher --- In Alaska we are mainly casting spinners and spoons. These are really dumb, aggressive fish. 50 a day for a couple of fishermen is not unusual. You could use 50-pound line and it wouldn't make much difference I suspect.

Similarly, for a diver and bait rig I would step up to a heavier line, especially for cohos. They are not very line shy either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts