IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy at college needs a new steelhead rod, but being college student he doesn't have a bunch of money. He asked me to ask for everyones infinate fishing wisdom. He wants a an 8'6" 8-12 weight. Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I was in the exact same position and your friend last year. I bought a Berkley IM7 8'6" 8-12# for $70.00. Then I threw a Shimano Curado on it for $120 and had a pretty decent set up for under $200. I probably could've found a better deal, but at the time I needed a rod and had no time to spare 'cause the fish were in the system and I was missing out. I've heard good and bad about these rods, but in my personal experience, I really like them. If I had more time I would've looked for something used. Seems like a lot of guys have rods that are just collecting dust and you can get a great rod for really cheap this way. Just my .02.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes what Snapset said! I just bought 2 of those (different weight) for my son and I, with Ambassadeur 6501C4's. Great setup for around $120.00

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Northriver rod. Fisherman's Marine. Lifetime warranty. When you break it, take it back and pick out a new one. About $65. Hard to beat.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thumper has it right on with the North River rods, I have two of them from when I started fishing for Salmon and Steeelhead in 98', and they are still bringing'em to the boat today.
:grin:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also looking for a new steelie rod without breaking the bank (just paid 2 grand to fix the Jeep :shocked: ). Heard good things about the IM7 but will go check out the Northriver rods.
Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Allstar Elite 1024c or 1025c.

The 1024c is fine for your small to average steelhead.

If you want to go after some salmon, small kings, and want a rod with a little more backbone, I'd say go to the 1025c.

Personally, all I use is the 1025c. All around best rod on the market.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Lamiglas G1308-T

great rod, big enough for salmon sensitive enough for steelies.

or the G 1306-T or G 1307 if you really want a 8-12 line weight.

Can't Go Wrong with Lamiglas

EK

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sportsmans Warehouse in salem carries ww grigg rods for a great price i have two and like them vary much i paid about 60 bucks.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I'll second the All Star recommendation. You might want to look at the 1084c. 9', 8-12. The extra six inches isn't much but it helps when fighting a fish a little bigger than you expected.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
I assume he needs a reel, and the ones stated in this thread for a lower budget are way too high priced. A 5500 C3 would do just great- for steelies or nooks, he can find one hear on the ifish used probably in the 40 range +/-. Or new for 55$. All he would need to do is post,,,NEED A 5500 C3 for a beginner and the gang here will surely jump at the chance. But new the pain is relatively low in the pocket book.

I am sure he doesn't need a curado, nor the spoolage of a 6500, let alone a C4 if he is in college. my 2.3 cents.

gus, back from the orient and jet lagged

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help guys. My buddy and I will probably head for sportsmans today and try and find what he's looking for. Probably gonna end up with a Lamiglass even though I told him how much I love my Northriver. Oh well.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I'd have to agree with Gus, even though I went a different way when buying mine. I have a couple of 5500 and they are great reels for the money. If he's on a really tight budget, this may be the way to go.

On the other hand, I believe MOST of the available moneys should be spent on buying a good quality reel (not saying that the 5500 isn't quality). I chose to drop the $120 for a new Curado because I believe the reel is by far the most important piece of equipment you have as a fisherman. I will say now, after using my Curado for almost 2 years, that is was by far my best investment in steelhead/coho fishing I've ever made. I could've probably put together a good used set up for around $110 or so ($50 for a used rod, $60 for a reel), but I don't regret spending that extra $90 at all. I love these reels and can't say enough good things about them.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Short Hop,

You will not regret the Lamiglas, they are great rods!

you can also check prices on Anglers Workshops web page.

I have found Lamis on ebay. usually some goofball ends up bidding more for a used rod then they cost new but if you are patient you might find a great deal.

EK

·
Registered
869 Posts
I was in downtown Vancouver about a week ago....waiting for the bus. I walked over to the pawn shop....just to see what they have. I found about a dozen Lamiglass rods with abu reels for around $150-200. I asked the guy where they came from. He had said that a guide was going out of business and needed some money. I don't really like to buy stuff from hawk shops, you never know if I was helping some coke head get a fix....but the guy said that the original owner brought them in....so I've thought about going back and picking up a super expensive set up for real cheap. Have your friend look around for deals...they are always out there. My .07

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Lamiglas Northwest specials!!!! BUILT BY AMERICAN WORKERS and fairly priced.. you cannot beat that!! Buy American.. it matters!

[ 10-28-2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: rob allen ]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts