IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find a material to make egg clusters with that would catch a fishes teeth while it's mouthing the bait. Catching their teeth might cause more action on the bobber and give you an extra second to set the hook before they can let go of the bait. My first thought was to try the spider web material you see being used to decorate for Halloween. It's made of very fine filaments that I'm sure would work but it's to difficult to work with. So much for my first experiment. :depressed:

Next I went to a fabric store and bought a yard of 4 oz poly batting. Batting is used between the outer fabric and the cushion of throw pillows, etc. It's also made of very fine filaments that would catch a fishes teeth. If you move the tips of your fingers over the surface of batting even small irregularities on the surface of your skin will catch some of the fillaments. Just the effect I'm looking for.

To make an egg cluster from batting first cut a strip wide enough for the cluster size you intend to make. Even 4 oz batting (the thinnest I could find) is to thick to make an egg cluster from so you need to carefully seperate it into three plys. Seperating three plys isn't exactly easy but with a little effort it can be done. Now just place the eggs on the seperated fabric, shape it up, and tie it with stretch thread. When your done the cluster will have a fuzzy outer surface. Perfect! It would really be hard for a fish to mouth that bait and not get it's teeth hung up in the fuzz. :wink:

Now that I've got a quart jar full of fuzzy egg clusters, I can hardly wait to try them out. If any of you try this before I do I sure would like some feedback. :smile:

·
Registered
14,813 Posts
SOooo,

What's wrong with the red spawn sack material they sell at the tackle stores? It works well to avoid smolt attacks in spring.

And why are the fish spitting your eggs out? Don't they like them (kidding)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The red spawn sack from the store is what I've been using. I'm sure I'm not catching every adult that mouthes the bait. Maybe the new stuff will help me catch a few more of them. Won't know till I've used it for awhile. :smile:

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
What I have used and has been putting fall nooks in the boat is stuff I get from a fabric store like Joanne's Fabrics. It's red and is right next to the white stuff used for a brides vail. I cut it into 6 inch squares. I like big baits. :grin: A yard is a couple of bucks. The material seems plenty snaggy and sure reduces the egg consumption especially when the bait robbers are awake.

·
Registered
554 Posts
This sounds like a good idea. I'm stopping on my way home from work and tying up egg sacks tonight to use this weekend. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Don't forget to try egg sacks for boondogging steelies. Deadly, and the baits last and last and last .....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Anyone have any pictures of this rigged up. I always just put a gob of eggs on and hope it will last for awhile.

I have never tried eggsacks but keep hearing about them.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Just curious, but I have always been taught that when you are bobber fishing you want the fish to swallow the bait. It seems to me that if the bait is getting caught in the fishes teeth and you are setting the hook at that point then you are taking a chance at poor hook placement on the set which increases your chances at lost fish. :shrug:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree with Waterdog, buy the fabric and cut your own. We experimented a bit with using pipe cleaners (of various and most secret colors) to not only tie off the bag but also use what is left over to connect it to the hook shank. This way I can leave my hook outside the bag but not set into the bag. It vastly improved the durability and having an extra bit of color seemed to help. However, I must admit, after we ran out of pipe cleaners due to providing them to everyone around us, we ended up using just plain old white bread sack ties and still landed some fish.
Almost forgot, it's not a bad idea to throw in a piece of fresh tuna fillet with the eggs. You can also thread a sand shrimp (head down) through your hook and up the line a bit. Or just throw it in with the eggs to make the mouth watering egg and shrimp sushi roll. :tongue:

[ 10-17-2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: LazerFisher ]

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I used cheese cloth once and dyed several pieces of it in diff colors of orange and red. Worked like a charm! Anyone else try it? Lot of work but well worth it. Later, Fishft. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts