IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,787 Posts
North Rver rods..inexpensive and beast ofa rod..for any length, any fishery, any conditions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yep. What piscean said. I own three and all have been well tested. Around $100 I think. Fisherman's has them.

· Registered
5,360 Posts
I would also throw in the cascade pro series at BiMart, they are made by Okuma as well and retail below 100. Used to really like the Shimano Clarus line, they were 100 and super light, my 8ft 6in 8 to 17 was like 4.6ounces and my Si was 4oz. All my Okumas are around 6oz. I don't ever the Clarus for sale anymore, don't know what happened to them.

· Registered
4,241 Posts
I would also throw in the cascade pro series at BiMart, they are made by Okuma as well and retail below 100. Used to really like the Shimano Clarus line, they were 100 and super light, my 8ft 6in 8 to 17 was like 4.6ounces and my Si was 4oz. All my Okumas are around 6oz. I don't ever the Clarus for sale anymore, don't know what happened to them.
Yes Sir...I sold thr boat..but still have all 6 of those 'bimart exclusive'. 9'6 4-16 oz lead and I tjink they are 15-50. $59.99 then.
I think 62.99 now..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

· Registered
327 Posts
Ooh I might have to check that out. Thankyou
I have used low end to high end gear from major companies except fenwick so I can’t speak on their gear. From what I have used, my favorite will have to be an Edge Black widow 904 casting rod for tributary summer steelhead and winter steelhead (I use it for summer chinook and coho as well). It is so light and sensitive. When I pick up a Lamiglas x-11, north river, Okuma sst, Shimano clarus they feel like broomsticks in my hand due to their weight. I have no affiliation with any brand but You won’t be disappointed with edge (their customer service is eh however) in terms of performance. I grab my first strike rod before my Okuma X series and g Loomis e6x if that’s saying anything. Yes you can go and purchase 2-3 cheaper rods for the price of one but you really are doing yourself a disservice for choosing inferior products if you’re willing to spend around $150. You won’t regret it.

· Registered
2,908 Posts
Edge is having a black friday sale. You can get a first strike rod for $170 that will blow any rod in the regular price range of 90-150 away. Do yourself a favor. You owe it to yourself.
Not quite $170 as you have to pay the federal excuse tax as well. Still a great deal though!

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a shimano Clarus for bobber doggin chinook and it’s a nice rod.

· Registered
27 Posts
Normally, I would say- under $100 you can't beat the Shimano Clarus or an Okuma SST. Over $100 get the Edge while it's on sale. But that Talon sale with the Promo code is pretty sweet. You can get one for around $100 on sale. I think I would take a chance on the Talon at that price.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Normally, I would say- under $100 you can't beat the Shimano Clarus or an Okuma SST. Over $100 get the Edge while it's on sale. But that Talon sale with the Promo code is pretty sweet. You can get one for around $100 on sale. I think I would take a chance on the Talon at that price.
My total for the talon rods comes out to 135ish. So I’m just thinking which one will get me more value with the edge rods being 250 usually and it coming to 190 total. I’m no expert so just wondering on this one. I’ve heard great things about edge but never heard of talon before.

· Registered
5,360 Posts
I am pretty disappointed in my Talon Rod. Bought it last month at the Ace in Woodland. It has a good action but it feels heavy and is not very sensitive, can't feel the bottom well or bites well. I just purchased an Okuma guide select pro and it is much more sensitive. Just my opinion your mileage may vary.

I can't afford one now but I have yet to find a rod as sensitive as the Si I used to have. Sold it when we moved to Oklahoma 5 years ago. To many kids to justify that much money on a rod now lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts