IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow i fishers,,last monday south of newport,found big schools of black bass,,light tackle,,what a blast,i used the trolling motor in reverse,to slow the drift,the bubbles from the motor brought the bass right up to the boat,they were jumping,and smacking the back of the boat,wild..I would rather catch a ton of bass,than sit in tide water and MAYBE get a bite..we slaughtered salmon in the ocean this year,freezer is full..Good luck,,Don..P.S.i will have open seats this winter for bottom [email protected]

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Oh man!

I've been in that action before and you're right, it is an absolute blast! They hit like dynamite and fight like thunder. Our problem was we had virtually nothing that stayed up near the top - all our tackle that day was bottom-fishing stuff. I finally rigged a small pink hoochie over a Bud's spinner and that gave me enough weight to cast, but not so much it would sink right past them. I worked it in as close to the top as possible and BAM, they hammered it.

This was also out of Newport, but it was in the late spring, maybe early May. The ocean was so calm you could see them dimple the top of the water. Nowadays I carry a flyrod when I'm out there just in case I get into 'em like that again. It was a blast! (Oh, did I say that already?) :grin:

Skein

·
Registered
228 Posts
I use a 8'6" 8-12 with 12 lbs mono. Light jig head with a shad/blue back. We would see them finning and cast right in the middle of them. Start reeling and wham! Shad even work great for bottom. The lings love the brite green. Drop to the bottom, jig a little then reel up about 5 feet then drop it down and do it again. Lings are a blast on a light rod.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Fast Action, that is exactly the ticket. I love to fish the jetty for black rockfish (bass) and use exactly that set up. What fun, they pull hard. And when you hook the occassional ling cod, woooohoooh! :smile: And the eaten ain't bad either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts