IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever go up to Canada to buy a motor? Thought I might save a few bucks on a new motor with the exchange rate.... Looking at a new optimax 75 or hmmm open for suggestions

·
Registered
720 Posts
Your allowed something like 500$ of purchases per person duty free. Canada will also have 2 taxes added into the cost, you will get the GST tax back if you claim the purchase at the border.

Good luck on your engine search.
I just bought a new 40HP 4s Merc from Channel Marine Services Inc in Scappoose. Greg was great to work with.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on second thought oregon dealer sounds just fine NO TAX is good

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I saved 2 grand buying a Honda in Burnaby, BC. There is no duty or tax on outboard motors or motorcycles(dirt) for that matter. Alls youll pay for is the invoice paper work. I went with a brokerage firm and it cost $100, if i went myself it would have cost like $35. Shipping was $120. PM me for details.

[ 08-19-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
616 Posts
What you have to remember is that once you cross that border back into the United States no US dealer is obligated to perform any warranty work on the motor if a problem came up. It could also prove difficult to get any warranty service on a Canadian motor due to the fact that the warranty must be performed through each manufacturers Canadian division (ie..Mercury Canada, Honda Canada).
I worked for several years in a Marine shop in Medford and we always turned away Canadian motor warranty work due to the fact that we had to try and get paid from the Outboard Manufacturer's Canadian division. It proved to be a huge hassle.

Buy in Oregon and get US warranty and No Sales Tax.

My 2 cents worth. :smile:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If the warranty is your hang up, go with an American one. Mercury has been honoring North American warranties and the rest are following suit(same motors anyway) If you buy Honda you wont have to worry about a warranty anyways. Im not kidding, my brother is a marine mech and this is his word. Its worth the small risk when saving thousands. IMHO

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I keep hearing bad things about Optimax motors, but it's mainly the bigger (V6) ones. If the diagnostic tools were more readily available, it wouldn't worry me, but I'd hate to keep going back to the dealer several times a year. :depressed:

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Get a 4 stroke, you'll like it much better.. Either a yamaha or a merc (there the same engine).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts