Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED!

Please Vote HERE!

OK! For all of you new members, who have never posted, we are doing a fishing contest for a new Okuma reel!!!

Here are the rules:

Simply post ONE fishing tip post. It can be about any aspect of fishing, boating, etc. Make it your best, most helpful tip... What to do with old neoprenes, how to manage tackle, how to take care of rods, how best to catch fish, etc.

The only rule about membership, is that you must have less than ten posts for the duration of the contest! That means, that when we close the thread to do the poll your post on the tips thread must not exceed 10 posts.

On June 9th, we will put up a poll, close the tips thread, and vote on whose tip wins the reel!

How bout it?

This thread is where you will post your tips!

Go ahead, start drumming up ideas, and post! You can post as many tips as you want, just as long as when the thread is closed, and for the duration of the winners poll, your post does not exceed 10 posts!

This contest is designed to bring new members out of the lurkers mode, and start giving back to ifish, for the tips you have been reading.

Ifish is about sharing, and I have met so many people who say, "Oh! I don't post... I just read!" Sorry! Ifish is about give and take, so I am giving you a reel for the best tip post. See how it works?
:smile:

COOL!

Oh, and the disclaimer... If I screw up, or somehow this contest goes bad.. Please excuse me and know that I still only have one reel to give out! I will do my best to be fair!

Jen

[ 06-10-2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll bite. Sounds like a great idea to me!

My favorite tip of all time is one that I use every time I clean my gear.

After you've washed all the salt, scales, moss or Lord knows whatever else off of you rods and reels, sneak into the cleaning cabinet and pull out the spray wax. I like lemon sented Pledge (no affiliation, yada yada). Spray the wax on a cloth and wipe down your rods and reels.

It doesn't sound like much but when you get home after the next trip you'd be surprised just how easy it is to rinse off the salt, scales and what not. Not to mention that it does add some corrosion protection to the metal parts and makes your gear smell lemonie fresh.

Verified at 7 posts- cb

[ 06-04-2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well lets see i can give this a try but let me say i would love to be makeing more posts but as that i am new to oregon and oregon fishing lets say ive been in a learning mode .BUt i do have a few unique tips when it comes to fishing life.THe first one is as fisher people im sure all of us at one time or another have had troubles with fishy odors such as on our burlap bags boat interiers, tackle bags , vests excetera and no matter what weve tryed there still seems to be something fishy .I had an experiance once with a dozen rotton worms hideing in the gear in the trunk of my car eh no matter what i tryed the smell lingered. Well here it is and its simple , Mint listerene the ultimat oder destroyer . On burlaps and tackle bags or vests simply soak in a bucket for about 15 minutes dilute 3 parts listerene to 10 parts water or make it stronger depending on the severity of the odor then rinse or wash as usual. on boat floors or truck beds dump the solution and scrub with a brush and rinse. Wipe down vinal leather plastic excetera wait and wipe a second time with water. Carpet or material interiors use it right in your shampooer then rinse well with plain water. YOU can also use it on your cutting boards counter tops and refridgerators and freezers i think you will be quite impressed. And as an added bonus this also works excelent on the stinky dog who has been swimming in the water or who just plain stinks and lets not forget those times when we or or dog my have an encounter with a skunk eh but believe me it works. Give it a try ...Patti

Verified at 6 posts - cb

[ 06-04-2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
How to catch more Steelhead on the Deschutes using a flyrod. If you've fished the mouth you know it can be windy. So windy you can't make a cast, control your line, and most of all hook fish.

The solution: When the wind picks up and fishing is not productive switch to a level line, swivel, pencil lead, and drift fish with your fly rod. I know your wondering why not just bring a drift rod? Well, this is tip number two. Try drift fishing with a flyrod in low water conditions. With the extra drag from the flyline you can actually make a drift without hangin' up. The drag principle is the same reason I prefer the fly rod in the wind.

This is by no means a purist technique but give it a try. Spooks less fish as well.

Slow and Low

Verified at 7 posts - cb

[ 06-04-2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Baitfishing Tip

Fishing rocky areas can cause a lot of lost gear, and tying swiveled leaders can take a lot of time.

Instead, tie two simple loops in your line that are a foot or more apart depending on your preference. Using preleadered hooks, thread the hook through one of the loops in your line, then through the loop in the leader and pull the leader tight. Next thread your second loop through the hole in the weight. Pull the loop through and drop the weight down through it.

Now you have a functional plunking or drifting set up that is cheap, effective, and fast to tie :smile: .

Try the weight above or below the bait depending on conditions, boyancy of bait, etc.

Good tip, but too many posts.. sorry!

[ 06-09-2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
369 Posts
For all of those tangled and unwound spools of line we all have. I take an old bicycle innertube and cut it into 1 to 2 inch wide rubber bands and use those on my spools and reels. They last longer than regular rubber bands and ar stronger.

Verified at 4 posts - cb

[ 06-05-2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
199 Posts
this tip im sure is also known by some and has little to do with fishing except the after effects there of ..Some of us im sure have seen a fairly new product being sold at fishermans called working hands well let me tell you as a pet groomer and heavy fisher the stuff realy works so if you havent tried it yet do and help heal those cracks hang nails and dry hands .......oh and i wouldnt bathe in the listerene but would work well on the hands its an antiseptic and kills germs and besides those hands are one of those fishy odor carriers too like i mentioned above....Patti

Verified at 7 posts

[ 06-05-2003, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
301 Posts
My tip for ensuring a great day of fishing is asking permission, before hand, with your significant other! Its been a hard transition from living the "single" life where I could fish at any moment, to the married life. (Don't get me wrong, married life is awesome!) Through my experiences, asking permission ASAP seems to work the best...

Verifed at 7 posts - cb

[ 06-04-2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
Hello fellow Ifishers!

My tip may be known by some already, but there probably are some who haven't tried it.

Sturgeon fishing using smelt tip.

I use a 10-12 inch piece of straight metal coat hanger, make a 1/4" hair-pin bend in one end, open just enough for the leader to fit in.

Push the folded end into the smelt's ventral opening and out it's mouth. One end of the wire should be out each orifice.

Use whatever leader length and hook you like, and have a knotted loop in the end. Hook the loop over the folded end and pull the line out of the smelts vent opening, and the hook shank into the smelts mouth. Position the hook with the barbless point out of the corner of the mouth. Pull the leader snug, and put a couple of half-hitches around the tail.

Bonus-You can have a second leader ready for a quick change to maximize your time in the water.

I have fished this for five years next to a buddy that threads the hook though the fish with a lot of wraps and I outfish him 3 to 1. I have never broken a leader or lost a fish this way. The hook-set is extremely positive, as there isn't a lot of line wrapped around the smelt.

BTW...I have three Ifish decals on my boat; Both sides and back; and have given my hot tip for springers this year. Boy, did that increase the pressure there! I'm waiting for a great fish story to unravel so I can properly enter the forum! your humble Fry.. :bowdown:

This wouldn't happen to qualify as the customary fish story, would it. :shrug:

Good tip, too many posts, sorry!

[ 06-09-2003, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
171 Posts
This may sound cheesy but it is the honest truth. The best fishing tip I could give is to search the archives of this website before heading out on any type of trip. I have fished mostly fresh water for many years. I don't own a boat and any saltwater trip I take is on a charter boat. Never in my life have I found so much information in one place regarding fishing. Special thanks to the Salty Dogs.

Also, when fishing, don't be afraid to try unusual methods when traditional methods are not working. Many years ago, my grandfather took me to a large lake in Northern California, I forget the name. We were bank fishing and nobody seemed to be catching anything. "Pop" took out some leftover steak from the night before and we caught about 5 trout one right after the other. I remember a boat passing by and asked how were doing and I said "great!". They then asked what we were using for bait and they all laughed when I said "steak". I don't know if it was legal or not but it certainly puts a smile on my face everytime I can remember spending a day fishing with my grandfather!

Verified at 7 posts.

[ 06-05-2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
To touch up scratches in gloss finish rods use an almond stick. These are used for touching up scratches in furniture, they do wonders on small scratches on the olive green blanks from Rainshadow :dance: Any of those annoying small white scatches just disappear when the almond stick rubs across it. And if you have the matte black blank, a little Armorall goes a long ways to giving it that new look. :wink:

Verified at 2778 posts. :wink:

[ 06-06-2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Alright all you hunter fisher types, here are a couple guidelines that keep the kitchen passes coming. This has worked great for 6 years of marriage and one child, I even managed to duck hunt 13 times during my wifes preganancy and fish twice within two weeks of the due date.

Here we go, you might want to write this down...

Two simple rules
1. Never use "I'm tired" as an excuse. I've sat through movies crossed eyed and entertained all night with less than 3 hours sleep.
2. Never take a nap when you return!!! Those 20 minute naps make you drousy and only creates tention with your spouse.

Take those to the bank and you'll continue to fish, hunt and have kids!

verified at 10 posts

[ 06-06-2003, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm not sure if I qualify but I know I don't have many. I get stuck wishin instead of fishin and living vicariously through yall.
Anyway, I use a pool noodle ( 6'x3" round foam pool toy) sliced into 2" disks to keep mooching rigs and leaders on. Put the hook(s) into the foam, wrap the line just tight enough to squish the foam a bit, and push a "pin" through the swivel on the other end to hold it in place. Cut the foam with a serrated edge bread or slicing knife. A bit of pool noodle also makes a great hook guard. For "pins" I use a couple of inches of rigging wire bent in half.
Which leads to tip two: For rigging wire for bottom walkers, spreaders, spinners, bite leaders, etc. go to a welding supply store and get a 2lb spool of .035" to .045" stainless mig wire. For around $10 bucks, you 'll have enough wire for a very very long time.

sorry, 20th post.

[ 06-06-2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
38 Posts
This may be 3 tips or just 1. You just caught a nice salmon, now what?

I cut the gills to bleed the fish out immediatly.
After you filet your catch put the head & backbone in a big ziplock,
throw in the freezer & save for halibut or crab bait.
Cut filets into strips less than 2" for faster smoking time.

<verified 7th post>

[ 06-06-2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wear your old waders without the boots the next time you go dig some razors clams.
Keeps the sand out of everything, you stay warm & dry, & it feels like you're wearing slippers.
Verified 10 posts

[ 06-06-2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
38 Posts
You want some zipperlip info about a fishing hot spot online without starting WW3.
E-mail someone directly, then go have a beer. & it really really works.
Verified 09 posts

[ 06-09-2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is gonna be #10, so how about that new reel? heh heh
For all those who still have wooden oars. Probably not too many(I do, Sawyers)
I use linseed oil rubbed in to keep them from drying out too much & breaking.
Good luck

Verified 10 posts

[ 06-06-2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
93 Posts
It seems like everything gets a sticky layer on it after a day in the salt. I like to take my fly rod, real, and line into the shower w/ me after a day of fishing in salt water. I strip out the entire fly line wipe it down and pay special attention to my rod guides. The next trip you will have smooth frictionless casting.

(Verified at 2 posts - cb)

[ 06-07-2003, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
8 Posts
My one and only origial tip (At least I "discovered" it on my own) is how to sharpen large quantities of hooks quickly.

On a trip to my wife's craft store I bought a $10 rotary tool used to smooth pottery, glass, etc and a fine grained conical grinding tip. I tried other grinding tips but this one works the best.

Rotate the hook point the opposite direction the grinding tip's rotation. With a little practice, you can sharpen the dullest hooks in seconds. I sharpened 250 salmon and steelhead hooks in about 2 hours. You can resharpen Gamagaksu sp? and other hardened hooks fairly well also.

Hey posting is more painless then I imagined. I promise to contribute more often. Do I still need a first post story? -DT2

(Verified at 1 post - cb)

[ 06-07-2003, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
529 Posts
A few Septembers ago I was in the garage looking for some sturgeon gear, and noticed my old potato gun getting dusty. Suddenly it clicked: why not shoot sturgeon baits along with a potato? So, my son and a couple of friends went out to Sauvie Island and prepared to launch a sand shrimp to the opposite shore. That turned out to be a bit optimistic, but it did basically work. It took some time to perfect the process.
Well, down the trail came an officer of the law, who yelled out, "you shoot that thing, and I'm taking it." To trim down the dialogue, let's just say he ended up intrigued with the idea (legality set aside for the time being), and changed his tune 180 degrees. Now he wants to see this thing work. We put on the best demonstration we could, he laughed and shared some more talk and bank fishing results from up and down the beach, and went on his way. About a half hour later came another officer down the trail, asking "Hey, are you the guys with the potato gun? I want to see this thing work." It appeared that we were the talk of the police band that evening. We only caught one shaker that day, but we were hardly concentrating on the bites.

Engineer Dan
Verified at 4 posts

[ 06-07-2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.