IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great board you folks have here, I make a point of stopping by here at least once a day.
My story is really my wife's story, when we first started dating many moons ago I took her summerun steelhead fishing on the North fork of the Skykomish. After loosing three fish in a row she was pretty fustrated! I told her to hang in there and her time would come. The next trip she landed a chrome bright 8LB hen out of a hole no bigger than 10' in dia. I still carry the picture
of her and that fish.I tell everyone that it's the only picture I have of her that's worth a damm!
On to the help section, I will be down your way the 10th-13th of this month in Eugene. I need to take my 14yo son out fishing, he's a die hard like me. I have no knowledge of that area and was looking for some suggestions. I'm game for any type of fishing. Help!

·
Registered
641 Posts
If your into trout, try blue river resivour, about 35 miles east of Springfield/Eugene up hwy 126. Was there last weekend. Hot, and by noon all the skiers and tubers are out, but its a huge resivour. Best fishing is just up fom the launch were it narrows, and also along the west side about 1/2 mi south of launch. Costs 3 american dollars to park.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
If you're interested in steelhead again, either the McKenzie or the Middle Willammette should have plenty of hatchery fish.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I'd vote for the McKenzie. If you don't have access to a drift boat there are several places you could try. Cross the river at Leaburg Dam..park in the Hatchery parking lot and fish down the river as far as you have access. There is some pretty good holding water there for Summer Steelhead and trout

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey lifeisgreat. Have you ever fished Ross Lake in the northern cascades? I am thinking of heading up there to camp/fish later this year.

BY the way, when I drove by the area Grantspastor talked about last Sunday, there were about 12 people fishing just below the dam, so there must be some action there.

·
Registered
631 Posts
How about small mouth bass?
The Umpqua is less than an hour away from Eugene...last week my son & I caught over 200 (worms were the best). My son is 8 years old and we fish quite often. He said that this was his best trip ever and he has caught trout, shad, steelhead, salmon & sturgeon!

Best Fishes,

Doug

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
I just caught this thread today. GP probably gave you the best spot available in that area for a visiting bankie. I've caught a few there. He's a nice man. Glad you guys had fun.

I kept reading your comment about Scott Haugen signing a book for you in Wilsonville, I live near Wilsonville and I knew Scott lived down off the McKenzie :shrug: then CLICK
Walterville!!! It was the Walterville Store.

Sorry, just sharing.

I work up in Washington from time to time and may ask you for a bank angling spot to pass an afternoon sometime.

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow
Thanks for the tips. My son and myself hit the Mckenzie on Fri & Sat, fishing below Leaburg Dam. Hooked into a few springers and had a blast. We stopped @ Wilsonville to pickup our license and my son spotted Scott Haugen's book on egg cures setting on the counter, he wanted a copy when he saw they were signed by Scott. The owner said (would you like to have your own personally signed copy) :tongue: Of course he resounded with a big Yes! She called Scott up and made arrangements to have one dropped off at the store. We continued up to the Dam @ Leaburg and had a blast hooking into a few Springers. I think my son got a bigger thrill at getting a signed book than he did in hooking the fish. Thanks agian Ifishers for the info! :cheers: Great people make an experiance like that a lifetime memory!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gun Rod Bow
Well I was close, I got the W & the ville right. Any time I can help let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts