IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Loomis 13\' IMX Float Rod

Has anyone tried this rod yet? Looks to be a really fun rod, I am curious how it feels.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Re: New Loomis 13\' IMX Float Rod

I'm not sure what the rationale would be for paying so many $$$ to drift a bobber down the crick. You could fish with a 9-11 ft. broomstick and still see the bobber sink. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
5,191 Posts

It is hard to find a good rod with a good warranty over 9'6",I can't think of any other than lamiglas,loomis,Rogue,st croix.

R.R.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts

But look at the huge difference in price between most manufacturers/models and an IMX. :shocked:

·
Registered
5,191 Posts

I know the price difference is huge but there are lots of advantages with the high end rods.

R.R.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts

I'm with Thumper on this one. As long as you don't abuse the rod (nicks, ect.) a medium level rod will do well for this purpose. I'm not sure that you would notice that much difference with the weight saving. You don't need the sensitivity--the bobber is the key here. Unless you must have G Loomis on the rod, I'm not sure why you would spend that much money for this purpose. JMHO

Jetty Nut

·
Registered
5,191 Posts

who else makes 9'6" to 13' rodsbesides the bigger names.I agree sensitivity Is not something you need bobberfishing.I know okuma makes some longer rods but the ones I saw were pretty soft.Lami makes a 9'6" for less than 140

R.R.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Berkley makes a 10'6", and Talon makes a nice 7wt fly rod blank that will make a nice float rod.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts

the berkley is a noodle rod . and after buying a blank and getting it rapped ,$$$.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts

I think a Diawa Sealine X - 10 or 11' graphite surf rod with a different butt section and different guides would make an awesome bobber rod. Probably more trouble than its worth to change one over, but everytime I use mine for plunking or surf csting I think wow this would be an way cool bobber rod.

UG

·
Registered
10,345 Posts

IMX does offer more, But is a complete waste to use for bobber & jig fishing steelhead. There standard jig series rods are just fine, As well as the berekly 9'6 8-12. I have a 9'6 rogue b&J rod and looking back on it i wish i would have just bought a berkley, Its not about feel.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts

A nine foot or nine and a half foot Northriver spinning rod from Fisherman's Marine will set you back about $70. A Lami Certified Pro ten and a half footer will cost you about $150. How much is an IMX???

·
Registered
5,191 Posts

they are expensive but they offer something low end rods don't that's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Cabela's Fish Eagle II 3-piece 10' 8-15# at $80 is a sweet rod. An even better deal is:
click here
and enter item# wp-11-7286-103. The reel's the same as the $200 Pinnacle Scion at half the price. This setup has become my outfit of choice. Loaded w/ Tufline XP 6/20, it'll sling spoons almost across the lower D, work a float'n'fly well and drift like a dream.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

All of that make sense. I was just curious if someone saw some advantage to a $350.00 bobber rod. Thank you for your replies.

Thumper - Next time you are in Alaska let me know. Sal and I have moved from Phoenix and are in Wasilla now. Bring Steve as well. We can do some serious salmon fishing. -Todd

·
Registered
3,802 Posts

Uhh...look at TH's website. Lots of really good float models for more than a Berkley but less than a Loomis. Custom wrapped, custom handle, big selection--and supporting a fellow ifisher.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

Joe's sells a Shimano 10'6" for about $65 that is a great rod for the money. For that price you can aford to bang it around a little without worrying.

·
Registered
270 Posts

It is a great rod and you do have advantages, its called confidence, use what you feel confident with, I have used this rod and it is fun for all types of steelhead and salmon fishing. The cheaper rods arent all as good, even if they look the same, its all about what you want and you have a very nice rod. The extra length also helps in some situations, as you will find out.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

I could be off base here but oh well.I like the longer rods it helps me keep the line off the water and when fishing for Steelies with a Bobber I have felt the fish pick up on the rod before I saw the bobber bounce, as far as the price you can get to the same fishing spot in a 62 VW as you can in a 2003 Suburban you have to decide what comfort level fits your budget and needs. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

Originally posted by Thumper:
I'm not sure what the rationale would be for paying so many $$$ to drift a bobber down the crick. You could fish with a 9-11 ft. broomstick and still see the bobber sink. Or am I missing something?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">LMAO!!!!!

Too darn funny, Thumper!

:grin:

[ 11-04-2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: parker ]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts