IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke kicker on my new boat. I'm hoping there is a simple fix that someone on I fish may know about....cuz if I take it in this week I won't have my boat for my Thursday excursion, and everything is closing up over memorial day....so here it is.

Start kicker after lowering into drink (power tilt, electric start, helm controlled). Putter about. Go to raise motor...and ....nothing. Hydraulic motor runs in "down" position only...no sounds, clicks when "up" is pushed. Doesnt work all day, re-try after pulling boat out of water. Nothing. Get home...push the up button...and Voila! it works as if nothing was wrong...as it does today. A poltergeist that may not be consistently reproducible. Helm controller always dry.Why would the motor run in "down" but intermittent in "up"...and not while the boat is in the water?

HELP!

Kurt

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I had a similar problem with my merc. The problem as I hear it, is not in your motor, rather in the controlls, IE remote. My merc quit on me once, but the tilt on the motor worked but just wouldn't respond at the remote. I went to Stevens marine and they set me up with a new remote.

I don't believe that the glitch is in your motor, rather I believe it is in your remote system.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Call or go to pacific Boatland in Vancouver, WA (Hazel Dell). They are amazing when it comes to Yamaha repair

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
Get the book that shows all the exploded views of the engine. It should show a pic if a lift in there somewhere.My personal fav is the "Mercury 6 Cylinder Outboards 1965-1991 Repair Manual". It is by Chilton Marine.

Your fix sounds to be electrical and not tied directly to the engine. But I have not seen or heard it.So.....

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the exact same problem on a Mercury 125. I followed the clicking sound to a relay. The Merc has a separate relay for up and for down. I swapped them to isolate the problem, and sure enough the motor would only move in the opposite direction. A new relay for under $10 fixed the problem. Oddly enough, the other relay failed within the next two months.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You might also remove the screw on the pump motor that allows you to add fluid. If you get a little hiss of air when you do this you will know that it may have been your problem. Just fill it with fluid and see how it works. By the way if the fluid in your unit is red it is transmission fluid. Do not mix tranny fluid wiht hdrolic fluid. Use one or the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts