IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

New Jumbo Fish cleaning & cutting board.

At last there is a cutting board made to handle even your largest salmon.
It is made from .50"thk x 24" x 48" UHMW plastic w/ handles on all sides.

This cutting board also has a 3/16"deep x 1" groove cut into the perimeter. This channel helps keep any blood or slime from running off the board. This helps keep kitchen counters clean.:bowdown:

When you are done using this board you can wash it off outside with soap and water. It will also help keep your fillet knives from getting dulled cutting against wood or metal surfaces.

Available at our website www.linekeeper.net or you can come by our office in NW Portland and pick it up and save freight costs.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Where was this last night when I'm trying to Cark my first tuna!

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I can't tell you how many of their line keepers I have. One of the best things I own.

Adding this to my wish list

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It will also help keep your fillet knives from getting dulled cutting against wood or metal surfaces.
Why is this material be easier on knives than a wood cutting board? Does it really keep them from getting dull, or just take longer than other products?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I checked their web site and had to go through the order process to find the price..................$130.00........ouch, that's a lot of money for a fish cleaning board :passout: No I didn't order one, I'll have to stick with the plywood board for awhile longer.

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
If the middle was covered with an indoor/outdoor carpet like material it would keep them tuners and butts from sliding around - probably a slimy salmon as well.

Nice idea - good luck with it

·
Registered
516 Posts
The one thing that's nice about the plywood is that the fish doesn't slide around nearly as much, i am not sure the texture of this board, but other cutting boards i have used are too slick, and the fish just slide where they want to! good luck with it though!

-Michael

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UHMW has a low coefficient of friction which helps a knife glide over the material easier when cutting on it. Wood is a little grippier and will dull a knife blade faster.

In order to improve the traction on this board, you can use some wet paper towels or an old fish towel that is no longer used at home. That will solve any traction problems that you might have.

As far as cost, you are right, it is not cheap. 1/2"thick UHMW in a 4 x 8 sheet is spendy and then the cost to have this machined only increases the end cost. This should be looked at as a one time long term purchase. You will have this for many years of fish cleaning and any other type of cutting board uses you may find.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Toooo slickery for me.. my blade doesn't touch the wood anyway... if you are whittling your cutting board while dicing up a fish you aren't doing something right....

Stay fish.. stay.

it does look like a cool work surface though.. maybe something to move meat over to once the procesing is underway.

gus

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I think it's a great idea. If I hadn't just bought a new cleaning table, I'd try one.

For those of you that haven't seen this guy's other products, they are useful and well thought-out. I have several of his line keepers (will buy more at the next sportsman's show), and I use two of his weight holders to keep cannonballs from rolling around my boat. I don't have any connection with him or his company (met him briefly at the last sportsman's show), but I like his ingenuity.

·
Administrator
119,499 Posts
I'll order one! I'll order one! No, TWO! TWO! Do I hear two!?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Where can I find small pieces of UHMW? I need a piece 1/8 inch to 3/16 X
3 inchs X 24 inchs. I need this for backing on my camper

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
UHMW has a low coefficient of friction which helps a knife glide over the material easier when cutting on it. Wood is a little grippier and will dull a knife blade faster.

In order to improve the traction on this board, you can use some wet paper towels or an old fish towel that is no longer used at home. That will solve any traction problems that you might have.

As far as cost, you are right, it is not cheap. 1/2"thick UHMW in a 4 x 8 sheet is spendy and then the cost to have this machined only increases the end cost. This should be looked at as a one time long term purchase. You will have this for many years of fish cleaning and any other type of cutting board uses you may find.

One other benefit is the wood does harbor nasty icky bacteria due to the natural porosity. The UHMW is much more capable of rendering sterile.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where can I find small pieces of UHMW? I need a piece 1/8 inch to 3/16 X
3 inchs X 24 inchs. I need this for backing on my camper

Go to Laird Plastics in SE Portland.
They have a bin with scrap pieces for sale. I'm sure you could find something that would work.

Robin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts