IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only should new ifishers post an introductory fish story, how about posting a fish picture with the introductory post.

Let's Vote:

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's hard enough for some of us to post pictures let alone a newbie.

·
Administrator
119,499 Posts
I always felt guilty if I didn't say hi, and I always felt stupid saying the same thing, or trying to come up with a varied response. "Welcome to ifish" can only be said so many ways.
I did like the welcome stories to read, though!
Pictures may be a problem, like noted above.

It's kind of tradition to post a new story, but it's not the rules. Some people like to walk in the door gently, others, with a huge intro!
It's up to you guys, but I vote that if you want to, it is very welcome!

Jen

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's no way we should require an intro picture post, and there is no way we should require an intro post. I'm talking only if possible, it would be nice to have this tradition. Obviously, many don't have access to digital cameras, or the right software, or know how to post, even though easy instructions are on the board. This is just a fun tradation that would be cool in my opinion, for those who can do this. I can't recall but a couple of intro pictures with intro posts.

By the way, Jennie, I just ordered my ifish decals and hat.

SKP

[ 07-24-2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yeah, I'm afraid it might tend to lead to more lurkers, especially for those (like me) who are "technologically challenged"..... Just MHO.

I've still never posted a pic on Ifish.... although I'd like to....

UNLESS, some gracious Ifisher was willing to accept an emailed pic and post it for the new (or old) member..... Just a thought.... Tim

·
Administrator
119,499 Posts
Oh! Was that you?
It's always nice to have a name with a moniker. :smile:

Now, I need to have the face with the name with the moniker! :smile:

Thanks for ordering. The new server costs are cha chinging me to skimp on bread and milk here! :smile:

I appreciate your support! :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Pic too?, heck it takes ten munutes for me to download the new avatar!

(I think theres a soup can and a string on the other end of my modem)

"Sprint" ...yeah right...more like CRAWL.

So if a newbie comes along and succesfully plants a pic into the first post, will they have any fishing tips we can use?

Willierower could use a few legal ones! :laugh: :laugh:

[ 07-24-2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
COTR,

I take it you dont like my "explosive" techniques. Or my other "special" method. You did kid of give a wierd look when you saw the big drum mounted on the front of my boat. Im also sorry you tripped and fell on the pile of net on the front deck :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have to agree with the posts I have read thus far. Especially Jennie's eloquent picture of those that visit this site. I came to this site in, well let's say it pre-story required. I have always enjoyed the freedom to express one's self.(With in reason, of course) It did wrankle me a bit with the newbie story, who are we to "require" a story.Though done in fun, it still seemed to say "show us the goods". The picture thing will say more between the lines-like "sorry, no pic/no post" which leaves those with the technology(and an available pic) elite enough to be welcomed on this board.
I guess you see where I am going... Our Face should be "Welcome to ifish, please feel free to post, we'd love to hear from you.Have a great story you'd like to share?" :cheers:
We need to remember there are those reading this site that are learning to fish and have no fish story.They should not feel inhibited to post questions and thoughts.
Think of those great men and women among us who stand out as personal "fishing idols," real experts (I am sure you could each think of at least a couple) who don't visit ifish because they are intimidated by computers and "all that new fangled stuff". Wow what a resource base we would have then!

I understand the idea to promote the pics. But maybe we need to sit down with one of these intimidated folks and show them ifish, show them the great info available, show them the dicussion board, and ask them if they would like to sign on and comment. To participate it takes a first step, to take that first step is easier with a friend at your side.
Be a friend. :smile:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I honestly have failed at every attempt to send a digital photo. :shocked: I'm that bad.
But I'll figure it out someday. I promise here & now to get you all a picture before the summer run is over!

Now I just need a really big fish! :cheers: :dance:

Full freezer

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'm not sure where this haveing to tell a story to become an i-fish member started,I mean its all good and that but I don't see anyplace that says you have to do it, somebody just started this on their own,as far as requiring someone to post a picture is a little far out in right field is this request because just maybe we're getting to big for our boots.I mean Jennie has already gone thru what is it now three upgrades and now has to go thru another just a few months after the last??.Growth is good but at what cost,now every thing is a big secert before most everything was shared,I believe we've lost something in growing.Requireing pictures for new people is going to far.Just the way feel thats all. Bob :hoboy:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that this idea is just about as popular as Hillary Clinton for mayor of Astoria.

Bad idea, sorry, I wear the dunce cap for the day.

SKP

S

·
0 Posts
I realize it's nice to intro yourself when you first sign onto ifish but I don't think it should be required.
If someone wants to intro himself with a fish story then great but he/she shouldn't be badgered into doing like I've seen done here in the past.
Just my .02 worth

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Photo? Photo? Heck, I have barely figured out how to post a topic or a reply. Photo? Whazzat?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No one says its required, just a fun suggestion for a tradition. Don't worry, I'm vetoed.

SKP (With dunce hat on)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by Grantspastor:
It's great to see pictures, but not everyone has a digital camera or scanner.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Exactly

·
Administrator
119,499 Posts
SKP, no dunce cap for you. We've tossed the good and bad of this idea about the mod board several times.
It's good to write an entry story, because it adds to the feel of community, and helps us to get to know one another.
But, some people just feel trapped by it, and it's hard to welcome every new person.
Too big for our boots, Dawhunt? Yip, of course we lose something by getting bigger. That always happens. I often miss the small family like atmosphere we had. But, there is good in growth, also. I've met a lot more people than I knew before. More friends is never a bad thing!

Jen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts