IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd just bought my first sled and was taking it out on it's maiden run. A friend of mine and I put in at Greens Bridge (Santiam River) and cruised upriver for acouple of miles where we came to a deep but narrow section of river with a vertical bank on the right side. From there the river took a 90 degree left turn and looked pretty shallow. I was a little nervous about going any higher being my first time and all, so we decided to fish there. I dropped the kicker and made a pass down through the hole. We went back up to top of the hole and began coming back through it but I got to close to the bank and got my line into the briars. My buddy was working on getting it free and the current kept pushing me towards the bank I turned the kicker to get away from the bank and hooked my buddies line in the kicker motor and pulled his brand new Loomis GL3 rod and Calcutta reel out of the boat.
We spent the next hour or two trying to snag it but with no luck. I felt like a real idiot.
Quite an expensive maiden voyage.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by greenbuttskunk:
I'm good at snagging rods off the bottom of a river, where is it.? Sorry to hear about the mishap, hope you did'nt loose a buddy over it.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">It's been over a year now. I'm sure someone had a great day on the river. And he was much to my suprise very good about it. Besides it got replaced. It's become one of his favorite fishing stories.

[ 04-28-2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Phishin Phool ]

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Sorry about your buddies rod and reel. :depressed:

Welcome to Ifish :cheers:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome Greenbuttskunk and Fastwater hope to see ya on the pond.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Welcome!
:cheers:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maiden Voyages always seem to be "eventful". Let's hear some more stories. Welcome to Ifish newguy.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Welcome aboard. I something very close happen to me the first time I took a drift boat down the river with me at the sticks. Only it was my favorite steelhead rod.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I just hate it when that happens. Welcome to the family anyway. If you make it back to just below the same spot and the river hasn't come up too high, you may be able to snag it on this 2nd attempt.

Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts