IFish.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey board! New guy here from the east side. This is my 23rd season steelhead fishing in Idaho. Started at the age of 12 on the Salmon river fishing spoons next to my Dad. Actually, the 1st steelhead I ever caught was there on the salmon. I had walked down the river and around a bend away from dad. I was hucking my hammered copper spoon in very deep super slow water standing on a big sandy beach. So this little suicidle 5lb steelie decides it is time to die by spoon and smacks the holy living crap out of it. He is in the air, down deep, upriver, down river, across the river and flopping all over the place. I was so excited I could hardly breathe and there was nobody around to coach me on how to handle the fight...dad was 200 yards upriver and around a corner. So the fish, which looked like a whale in my 12 year old eye, finally tires out and I drag him up onto the sandy beach. Turns out the little booger had some more fight left and he commenced to thrashing about in the sand so I commenced to chasing him around with a big piece of drift wood trying to bonk him. I was Falling down tripping and thrashing around and finally somehow manged to get a head shot on him but not before he was thoroughly coated with gray salmon river sand and blood.
Completely exhausted but proud of my "expert" fishing ability I headed back up river to show dad what I had accomplished. As soon as I rounded the bend I hollered "I caught one!" at that point I completely expected him to drop his rod and come bounding down the bank full of pride and beaming with joy at the accomplishment of his only son. Instead he hollered back "that looks like a sucker". From where he was standing and with all the sand that was on my poor little fish as a result of my chasing it around on the beach and the bludgeoning I had bestowed, it was unrecognizable at 100 yards!
I learned a lot from that 1st fish and continue to learn from almost every fish that I catch and even from the ones that I dont catch. Still fishing with Dad too since he came to his senses and moved back to Idaho.
Anyway, my apologies for the rambling story. Looking forward to the opportuinites to learn and contribute to the community here.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Welcome to IFISH Cap'n Ron :cheers:

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Come on in the waters fine. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
733 Posts
never apologize for rambling fish tales, we all love the drama of the bite.. welcome to the club Cap`n Ron

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tagster, I live in Lewiston.
And yes, thanks to Dad for taking me in the 1st place. I have 4 kids of my own now--two boys aged 13 and 11 who love to fish. The old man did pretty well financially, retiring at age 51 but no matter what kind of inheritance he leaves behind it will be nothing compared to the legacy of teaching me the passion for fishing.

The really admirable thing is that when I was young we didnt have a boat and we always fished with spoons from the bank. I simply do not possess the patience that it must've taken my dad as he watched me constantly snag botom, hang up and loose all those spoons.

My boys have it easy, fishing from a heated jet boat with drift rigs or back trolling--suppose I ought to take them out in December and turn them into bankies with spoons for a couple days just so they can see what it was like in the "old days".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts