IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the tradition of new guys sharing a fish story, I submit to you the following.

I was fishing for summer steelhead on the Middle Willamette last June. It was a decent day--I had one fish on the bank already. Upstream from me is a man and his wife. It is obvious that the man has caught his share of steelhead, but that his wife, while enthusiastic, is a total rookie. She's using the hand-me-down yellow Eagle Claw spinning rod, holding it upside down, reeling backwards and with the wrong hand.

As you would expect, she hooks a steelhead. A hot steelhead. A steelhead that cannot stay in the water. I mean it jumped probably 15 times. Meanwhile she is freaking out--"Oh my God! Oh my God!! What do I doooooo???!!!!" as the fish peels line downstream. Her husband grabs the net and they make their way downstream as we all reel in and offer encouragement.

By now the fish has burned itself out and is flopping around in the shallows coming toward the net. The husband appatently thought the net was either a tennis racket or an axe and attacks the fish with it accordingly. SNAP!!! Fish off!!

The man and his wife start making their way back upstream and I cast back out. As they pass me, I tell her that she'll get'em next time, everybody loses fish, etc. I feel a telltale tap...taptap...TAPTAPTAP. I set the hook, and FISH ON. I holler at the lady to come fight this fish.

I hand her the rod and she starts fighting the fish. This one's a bulldog. He won't show himself, and just when she gains a little line he peels it right back off again. "Must be a buck," I tell her. "That one you had was a hen, the way it kept jumping. Keep the pressure on him and he'll come in," blah blah blah. Needless to say I feel like quite the hero at this point, having not only a fine sense of gallantry but absolutely impeccable timing.

Pretty soon (REALLY soon, it seems) the fish tires and starts coming in easy. It thrashes around in the shallows and there is a flash of...gold?

I don't know whose expression was sicker when that lady hauled the 24 inch sucker (snagged right behind the head) up onto the rocks, mine or hers.

The road to hell is truly paved with good intentions...

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
What it takes to consistently land fish is experience. You provided some of that experience. Good for you and welcome to ifish!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Funny story. Did the old man net the beast?

Welcome to ifish.

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
How could you have known it was a sucker :grin: Great story! Welcome aboard.... :cheers:

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
Same thing on the Deschutes recently. My friend hooks into his first good redside, we all reel up, follow him downstream, me saying "I KNEW they'd go for that caddis pupa", and then a flash of yellow... :sick:

Good story.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Welcome aboard. Hopefully you will be repaid many times over for your kindness. Karma is a good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts