IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first posting, though I have answered a few questions. I am thinking of hitting up the mouth of the Columbia on Sunday. I've fished there for years but by no means am I an expert. Any suggestions? Herring vs anchovies, #of pulls/depth, locations inside the bouy, best place to drop the Crab Pots? I'll be posting a good New Guy Story in the future!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Herring AND anchovies - whichever you don't have will be the bait of the day!

14 pulls. I just made that up.

First, I go where all the boats are. Then I go where the boats with bent rods and waving nets are. Go fish.

:cheers:

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've always found that watching where all the boats with phone numbers painted on their sides go is useful. :wink:

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you have the boat for it I would suggest looking back at bouy 10 from the big blue. Inside the bouy is slow to nothing right now. There are fish in the river. Just not that many. The fish are still gathering outside for the big push. I would say a person could start hooking up just outside the no fish zone. Halfway to the CR bouy for sure.

I forgot some info you asked for. Drop crab pots on the upriver side of the Ilwaco channel that leads to the boat docks. Great spot. As far as pulls and bait. If fishing inside at the bouy you'll need to very your diver until the right depth is found. If fishing outside then you need only 2 to 10 pulls to to hook up. It's a feeding frenzzzzyyy out there right now. Whole or cut plug herring and anchovy work like a champ. I actually feel that the anchovy were working a bit better than the cut plugs.

Good luck to you.

SPACE

[ 08-08-2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Space Fish? ]

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Originally posted by Silver Hilton:
I've always found that watching where all the boats with phone numbers painted on their sides go is useful. :wink:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Darn, I thought I was the only one who did that! :grin: :grin:

TR

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Personnaly I find it VIRTUALLY WORTHLESS to fish near B-10. I prefer more 12-16 but have my other secret spots. I used to mooch (banana sinker and drift) a lot but that is hard when everyone is trying to stay with the current. Do everything to keep YOUR POLES IN THE WATER and check your bait frequently (every 15 minutes) to ensure it's still fishable.

Vary the depth (8-16 coho, 25-40 for chinook w/ a med. deep-6 diver). Herring roll doesn't seem to matter near as much there. If fish are around they're either biting or not. I also use anchovies w/ success.

Good luck and may it be a good year!
biederboat

·
Registered
499 Posts
I ONLY cross the bar at the last 2 hours of the outgoing and all of the incoming. I like to go out on a low slack and come back in on an incoming up to high slack unless the tide is small. Then I won't worry about the bar so much. Trouble I don't need so I stick to these rules for me and that is what keeps me alive. I have a story that I will be posting that will explain why I now live by these rules.

SPACE

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I have to disagree with your timing of bar crossing, Spacefish.

The last 2 hours of the outgoing are about the worst time to cross. Wait til it is coming in for at least an hour. Maybe 2. Then get out, get your fish, and get back in before it starts to go our again.

The fish are already inside( chinooks in good numbers). Unless cohos are on the menu, why go out?

Mark and the careful and still alive dog.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I could write a full page of info if I were to cover all the variables involved in this topic. I would like to say that if it's a small tide exchange like 3 or 4 foot the bar is generally calm enough for a comfortable crossing. So, I don't usually have any problems at the last of the outgoing. As rule I always try to go out on an incoming and come back on the same tide. I used to think I had crossed enough times to know just what to expect. I then learned to expect the unexpected. Always wear my life jacket and a bunch of other things that have already been covered on this board.

Please use common sense and live within your own comfort level. I am comfortable with what I do, but that doesn't mean others might be. Just use good judgement. Educate yourself on the conditions for the time you plan to spend out there. Then get there and look it over. If the info matches the current conditions and all is well then make the decision to go out or stay in.

Thankyou,

SPACE

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. Made it out into the Blue on Sunday for Quick limits of Coho. 8 keepers & 4 natives in 2.5 hrs. Had one monster Nook on but lost it due to 2 other rods being hooked up at the same time. Sunk 2 crab pots off of Ilwaco entrance but only came up with small Males. Cant wait to head out again soon.

Tako

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.