IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
119,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is too easy on a public forum to malign a business by posting anonymous complaints.

To be more fair, we have decided that if you wish to complain about a business, you must be willing to post your real name along with the complaint.

One, so that it holds more validity, and two, to suppress anonymous complaints which could be false.

This is to protect businesses against false or malicious intent.

I don't feel that anyone should have a problem posting their name if they have a valid complaint.

This idea was brought to me by Liz Hamilton the other night at the Steelheader Auction and banquet. I thought it was worth a try.

Good idea? Bad? Your input is welcome.

Thanks,
Jen

[ 04-15-2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
I am complaining about this!!!!

Anonymous -

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Sounds like a reasonable policy.

:cheers:

[ 04-15-2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Quite reasonable, Jen. One of the aspects I like about this board is the flow of information regarding businesses that cater to our passion, good or bad, and if someone is willing to dis a place, they should be willing to put their name to their comments to help legitimize their complaints.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
This is a good policy.

I would also add that the posts that start:

I hear that:

My friend told me:

The rumor that:

Etc...

If you don't know from first hand experience then I would suggest you let the person with the actual experience post.

This would avoid many of the rumors that get started that turn out to be just that...rumors.

Giz...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Giz, that would also cut down on Jennie's needs for computing power immensely, since a majority of threads that are posted now wouldn't make it!!!!

JK :grin:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Good idea :cheers:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

[ 04-15-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
For once I’m on the opposite side of Liz - but she is afterall a business lobbyist and advocating for her constituent's interests - not, in this particular case, the public's.

I suggest totally stearing clear of this idea.

People may not want to post their names for very good reasons, such as retaliation (which can take many forms), or because of who they are, or that knowledge of their identity and their relationship to others can expose how something was learned (perhaps opening up someone else, likely an employee, to retaliatory action).

Businesses operate in the public realm - they can deal with complaints and bad press. More discussion helps the public and good businesses. A reluctance to post the 'bad', only helps bad business practices to continue.

Let Ifish remain a fairly open forum of thoughts, opinions and ideas - though you might occassionally remind us that nobody is fact-checking what’s posted. Reader beware.

Finally, I'll add that most of the complaints I remember here, have not been posted in an effort to resolve a problem but are instead done when attempts at resolution have failed. These posts serve as a warning to others. I'd hate to see these stopped or diminished.

[ 04-15-2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
The problem with that is it will stop the flow of information in some sercircumstances.
Some people worn people of bad service or such but still have to do business with that business because of warrenty or where they live etc.
They do not want there name out there because of retribution from that business. Just for warning someone else of a personal experience.
I have found out there are a lot of business that read I-FISH in this industry.
I am just pointing out another way to look at this.
It should not be a hard and fast rule for that reason.
Jennie sorry I missed you at the auction. It was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
People may not want to post their names for very good reasons
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I am with Gary on this one. If the "dispute" is ongoing, to put your name on it could certainly cause problems. I suggest if the company that is being questioned wants to challenge, let them "sign" on and tell their side of the story!
I am sure there are many people who would be interested in the "other" side of the story, and might even have a few questions to ask directly, if they are dealing fairly what better advertisement than to bring it out in the open.
My guess would be not many business would care to respond in public with their side.
Ron

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have been in the customer service business for many years.
All complaints that came in by phone, e-mail, or letter with name, address, and phone #, or e-mail address was handled immediately.
The complaint was researched, facts gathered, and a resolution worked out with the client.
If anything came in anonymous it was round filed.
How can a business make anonymous happy and fix the problem?
Require a name and phone or e-mail address.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
If I have a problem with a company, and I am going to post on it, I would gladly sign my real name.
Sounds fair to me.

RF

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I agree with the policy. I think the person should have to post their real identity. If there is retribution by the business, there's even more evidence that it's a bad business. There is nothing better than word of mouth advertizing, whether it's good or bad. If public pressure is what it takes for a business to give the service that a customoer pays for, so be it. That same public pressure can help to bury that business. That could be a good thing.

On the other hand, there are businesses out there who constantly get great public reviews for their excellent service, well deserved too! Tillamook Bait is a fine example.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Garyk,

The only way to steer clear of it would be for Ifish.net not to allow any complaints.

I'd prefer to see the complaints than not.

1. Regarding online anonymity, you don't really have it. A determined person can find out who folks are online even when they use handles etc.

2. If the complaint is legit, the business already knows who they are.

3. If folks are going to put someone else's reputation and/or livelihood in jeopardy in a public forum (perhaps legitimately perhaps not...what's to stop an unscrupulous competitor from spamming websites with phony complaints?) they give up the right to remain anonymous themselves.

4. Putting one's actual name to the complaint or comments tends to keep things honest.

For those who wish to remain anonymous, and there are a lot of legit reasons for doing that online, the only thing they lose is the ability to complain about someone else by name in public online.

There are a lot of ways to complain about poor service from a business. If one wishes to take that complaint public then one has to accept what taking it "public" means.

Classic case was person complaining about a PC's Limited Computer in public online (she used her actual name) and the owner of the new business getting online and resolving the problem. The guy was a service nut named Michael Dell.

Brion

·
Registered
909 Posts
I wouldnt like to post my name in some circumstances. I recently posted on another website problems I had with a repair shop that said my outboard was shot and needed a rebuild that would cost $1900 I took it else where and I was a bad connection on a wire fix was $85 dollars. I then had the dealer call who I took it to and try to get my phone number. I was glad i didnt post it I was done with them and they had no right to call me. They made the mistake. What if it had been a shop that I still need to get warranty work done because their wasnt anyplace else . I would leave it up to the individual. Everyone using this site needs to realize that not everything they read is true or the same for everyone that might use some companies service. For example asking what boat to get what one is better. To many vering opinions. I would prefer not to have to put my name down. If they had a problem they could easily post a reply and state their case.

·
Registered
532 Posts
[ 04-15-2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: snowball ]

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
Jen, maybe we have different ideas of what your policy means?

[quote "To be more fair, we have decided that if you wish to complain about a business, you must be willing to post your real name along with the complaint.]

Here's three examples -

1. In my opinion my Hewescraft 179 has a serious design flaw, it's 1" scupper holes are too small.

2. My Honda90 was tuned seriously out of spec when received from the factory.

3. I just bought sardines at X-store they're soft and mushy - must have been refrozen. Beware.

So, would these all require signing my name?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts