IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Lewiston today to pick up my new Custom Weld. I'm nervous about trailering it back home, I just know some semi is going to smash into it on highway 28! The shakedown trip will be a week in the San Juans hitting the crab and chinook as hard as possible.

Any thoughts on letting the first fish I catch in the boat go free? Kind of an offering to the fish gods. If it's a 4 pound humpie it will go free, an 18 pound chinook, however, will be cause for serious questioning of my faith!

I'll post pictures later.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
That's easy - drop a herring over to the bottom, catch a dogfish, let it go. Fish gods are apppeased, and no angst for you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When I got my new inboard Weldcraft a few years ago I landed the 1st fish that came over the side. A nice fat Sturgeon, the first Salmon trip in it I got lucky and nailed the first King too. The boat must have made the Fish Gods happy. :dance:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What model did you get and what options? :cheers:

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Superstitions, superstitions, If its a keeper, keep it. The fish don't undersatnd superstitions only people do.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
When I get my new boat. I am going to hang salmon bones all over it!! Just in case, you never know, Got to keep the eveil spirits away. you don't want to get caught un prepared on the Dark side. Cheers Rich
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
coincidence is the mother of superstition. if you do it and then go on to catch lots of fish you'll think it works. if you don't do it and go on to catch lots of fish you'll believe that it didn't matter.

i'd tend toward some sort of ritual to bless the boat. fish will bite or not bite according to whim. a properly blessed boat will get you back to port trip after trip.

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
Congratulations, can't wait to see the pictures!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FNF, I got a 17ft Sport, the most basic model except I had them put a aerated livewell on. I'm putting a 120 hp Johnson outboard (extra long shaft) on for power. Should go 50mph. Electronics will include a Raymarine 755 plotter/sonar and a VHF. I got a swivel mount crab davit from Cushman boats, it mounts on a Scotty swiviling downrigger mount. I go to the coast quite a bit for crabbing and shrimping. Obviously I'm gpoing to go with Scotty downriggers, probably electric and probably in a couple of months.

Ampersat, I think that's about right, first legal fish in the boat gets bonked, then cerimoniously feasted upon.

I'm having the outboard hung this week, so I won't get start in untill Friday.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
First fish to our new boat was a great big ol' fat sea bass. We took a quick pic and slid it back to make more babies on the rocks...

I still let fish go at the side of the boat once in a while, but it isn't necessarily on purpose!
:laugh:
:laugh:

SD

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Don't release! Kill, Kill, Kill, Eat, Eat, Eat. It's the American way. And, by the way, there are no fish gods - my palm reader told me so :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I say giving one to the fish gods is a good idea. They like the first BIG keeper salmon. I happen to know them personally, so when you get a fish for them, give me a call, and I will meet you and take the fish to them. :grin:

BTW, Congrats on the new boat. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
in case you havent already make sure you have zincs welded on the boat or it will get eaten away eventually. congrats :cheers:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
My first ofering to the fish gods was a 25lb winter Chinook on the NFL on the first day fishing my North River... Bustin full of eggs, still had sea lice. She went off to sew her oats and my boat karma was set. Just ask the two last Springer Kings who's boat conquered. Next year, ThreePeat!

[ 07-16-2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts