IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
I am the proud papa of a new to me boat. A 17' hewes craft sea runner. Thanks to Darth Baiter. :cheers:

My questions are as follows:

1. What size and type of anchor and how much line. I think I will learn the bonniville fishery next year.

2. What size ball for anchor puller?

3. I noticed there is a plastic and an aluminum anchor puller. which one is more better? Any body have any problems with the plastic ones?

4. VHF - Hand held or permanent? How big of an attenna do I need? I Plan on going only about maybe up to 5 miles off shore for salmon. If they make me go further well maybe a little further but that's it. :grin: I wanna be able to call for help if I need to.

5. Registering a boat can be done at GI joes I understand. What about the trailer? They sell trailers too right?

6. What size fenders do I need? 2 enough?

7. How do I get blood in the boat now?

:smile: Smily :smile:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Smily...You did it :dance: Very nice...Let me be the first..not the last to welcome you to the HewesCraft Family :grin: So many questions :shrug: Anchor rope depends on how much water you plan on fishing...get the 300' spool and you'll decide later when you get tired of tying it up all the time...I chopped mine way down...I have the plastic puller..it's strong enough for anything...runs in the water better than the aluminum ones... (i think ) I forget the size of my ball..but it's like the second size up. I got it at fisherman's. they have total packages to look at and are kinda spendy buy you should check it out. Anyway...Very nice..Room for the whole family

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
55 Posts
You should get a mounted uhf and for the fenders get four, the ancher pull try the one made by motion marine thats what I got and its good!! and if you want blood in your boat go fish t-bay!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Congrats! Nice looking boat. You're going to really enjoy it.

To answer a couple of your questions:

Trailers have to be registered at the DMV.

And if you're going off-shore at all, think backups. Backup GPS (fog rolls in quickly), backup radios (dashmount and handheld), compass, and the usual backup fuel filters, spark plugs, fuel tanks, etc. A small three-gallon tank can get you back home from that far out in case your main tank gets water or junk from a bad fillup.

And blood? Right now? Hehehe. Let us help.... we're here for you, man. Just leave the keys in it. :grin:

Skein

·
Registered
370 Posts
Smily,

Congratulations on the new ride!

For my money I would go to Fisherman's for the anchor stuff. Five years ago they asked about the details of the boat and what I would be using it for. Then showed me the choices they had like, folding or one piece anchor. They connected the chain(6'), anchor(25#), anchor puller(EZ)+(A3 float), rope(300'), floating rope(10'), and float(crab). All I have had to do is change tie straps when they break.

I would go with the fixed mount VHF. Fixed will give you more power, 5/25W Vs 1/5W for the handheld. The longer antenna will also increase your performance. I currently only have a handheld and the battery pack needs to be replaced at a high price. But I did have a time last year that a connector opened up on me and I lost power to everything, except the HH VHF. While troubleshooting the problem the squawking on the VHF was reassuring.

The boat paperwork needs to go to GI Joes and the trailer physically needs to go to DMV.

G3 or G4 size fenders should work just fine. I think it is more personal preference Vs the "right size".

Blood? Stick a hook in your finger, nick your finger with the bait knife or in my case take the wife fishing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You might not have to license the trailer in Oregon. Most 17' boat/trailers on the road in Oregon aren't. It depends on the weight of the boat I think. I bought my boat used from washington and tossed the wa. plate. 300' of rope is a good choice, I found that folding the x-tra rope in a mesh bag works well after setting anchor. Just tie off the top of the bag and have your x-tra float with 10' floating line tied to the end of the rope which is also left out of the bag. Fish on, chuck everything overboard and drop out to fight the fish. Easy to pick back up and neat. Use an extendable boat hook to pick up the floating rope. I leave my rope folded in the mesh bag all the time...it feeds out easy while setting anchor. I also use one of those "clips" so as to clip on the float and floating rope to a loop at the end of the anchor line after tieing of the top of the mesh bag. Go get some fish blood in that new to you boat!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Nice boat! Don't forget a couple of Sea Anchors for keeping you straight up at the Bonniville fishery. Defintely will need them if you plan to sturgeon fish up there as well.

You need a pack of marine flares for the ocean and the B-10 fishery.

I have a 17 foot alumaweld stryker and use a 25# anchor with about 4 feet of chain and 300 feet of anchor rope. We have the ez-anchor puller with the aluminum pulley and it has worked good but the aluminum pulley mount rubs on the anchor rope a little and has started to fray it in places after 3 years of use. Just get a ball big enough to float your anchor. Ours is medium size- seems to be the most popular size.

Oh we only use the 300 feet of anchor rope when sturgeon fishing in deep water. If you don't plan to anchor in deep water (40 feet plus)then you probably will only need about 150 feet.

Wish I could help you with the bloody part. Been working on that myself here lately.

Good luck!

[ 10-06-2003, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: Salmon Stryker ]

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Nice Andy! :dance: Mounted radio and a hand held back up. Compass is a must. At least a hand held GPS like a Garmin. 25lb anchor and 300 ft of rope and a good quality puller with bouy ball.

I'm kinda sad though Andy. Gonna miss buzzing that drift boat on the columbia. :wink:

Congrats. :grin:

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
300ft rope AND a 150 ft rope. Please don't try to anchor in 70 feet of fast water with a short rope!! For that, 300ft really isn't enough at times. more chain = better holding.

Aluminum puller.

Larger ball is nice, really pops the anchor up, but takes up more room and isn't really necessary.

Fixed mount radio.

T-bay now!!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Congrats Smily,

Welcome to the SUZUKI OUTBOARD CLUB! :cheers:
We'll have to compare our motor differences being 2 years apart. You're gonna love the fuel economy. :shocked:

Make sure you get 300' of 3/8" dia (minimum) braided (not twisted) anchor line. You can skimp on crab line but not anchor line or dock lines. The Columbia current will unravel twisted anchor line.

Ratheon makes a great VHF radio - get the model with scan. I have had good results from the 3' antenna from Cabellas but most people prefer 6'.

Buy a mount for the GPS 320 Magellan and a 12v adapter. You may need to install a 12v receptacle on the dash. The batteries don't last long.

4 fenders, 2 telescopic oars (Cabellas), Plastic anchor lift works great, 1/2 the cost, won't fray the line.

See if you can add Speed and Temp to the fish finder.

Scotty Rod holders, and down riggers, Dual wipers (I can help with the install).

Try resist impulse buying and wait for the sales.

Its good you can park it in the garage, it will hold down the theft problem, and you won't need to load/unload all the stuff each trip. You won't need to pay winter storage fees either.

Looking forward to putting FISH blood in your new boat. :dance:

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Way to go Andy, nice boat! :dance:

I think these guys covered jsut about everything. Have lots of fun!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
You'll need about 300' and don't cut it down. Fishing Bonniville you will want that much. I would get a 20 or 30 lb ez-pull anchor and the ALUMINUMUM** :shrug: anchor puller not the plastic. It cost more but it's worth it. Then I wouldn't buy the biggest ball but not the smallest. Go to Fishermans and they'll set you up. DON'T FISH BONNIVILLE WITHOUT ONE... VERY BAD IDEA. What I did was get a VHF mounted next to my fishfinder hand helds are nice but I like the mounted kind. Also If I were you I would invest in a good GPS they are awsome when you're trying to find that fishing hole.
Good Luck :smile:

[ 10-06-2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Steelhead Hound ]

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
One of these days I'm going to have a post just like this one. Cept mine will be a new Willie boat! SOMEDAY! You just wait!
Until then, congrats! Pretty boat!!!!

Jen

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
:dance:
Nice boat, Hope to see you again in the super Zipper lip spot. The fish are still biting there.I think I will need to hit it one more time,
300 feet at least 4 feet of chain, Never have to much.
Fitted mounted FHF,
I love my Eagle 320 GPS
First aid kit. Don't ask. Hooks hurt.

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
From a 179 Searunner owner here's a couple things:

1. Install a fuel/water separator.

2. The pic seems to show no bow scuppers - that's not a covered bow is it? If open bow, install large scuppers.

3. Install a bow-mounted anchor nest. This will clean-up your forward area, and give you more room for a larger anchor ball.

4. Your boat's top may be different, but examine the exterior leading margin, (the forwardmost 12 inches or so) for signs of abrasion. If so, it's being caused by when the top is rolled up and then buttoned down tight against the top of the windshield. If you see abrasion, install some cushioning material on the top of the windshield.

5. Get the fixed mount VHF, the 8' Shakespeare Galaxy antennae in black will go nice with your boat's trim.

6. Figure out how accurate the fuel guage is - on ours when the guage shows 3/8th's, it's empty.

7. Is there a spare tire on that trailer tongue? You need one, plus wrench to fit the trailers lugnuts.

8. What about those trailer bearings?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ya know...He hasn't replied yet :whazzup: Hmmmmmm....
I know..he's doing what i did...he's still sitting in it looking around :grin:

Andy...get out of that boat :tongue:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First of all, Thanks for all the suggestions and warm comments. All sugestions will be taken into consideration.

Mr dorkfish,
I am embarrased, you caught me with the top down :blush: . I had been climbing in and out of it just trying to get a feel for it. I still need this and that for storage and an ice chest for food, I mean for a fishbox, and there isn't alot of storage in there so I do have a lot of Big tuppares like the 30 gal size or so I'm tring to fit in for storage. It only has the 2 front seats with storage and there isn't alot of room in them. But lots of open space.

Garyk,
Fuel line separator has been installed. What do I do with it? Do I empty it after a while?

It is a Closed bow. What are scuppers? I think I need chalks up there for the anchor line though.

I am working on the bow anchor nest and it will come with the rest of the anchor system.

I got my eye on an icom m-45 VhF. Any pro's or cons? 3 yr waterproof gaurantee.

Spare tire is in the works also.

I got it registered today so that's a start. :grin:

:smile: Smily :smile:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts