IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time has come... dad and I are seriously considering buying a new boat. With him being retired he is fishing more on his own and with his buddies and he would like to get away from the open tiller style boat and moving into a forward helm.
We are considering the 24' Willie Raptor, with the Vortec 350 and hamilton 212 turbo.

Does anyone out there have the new Raptor? If so what do you think?
Our second choice is the Sea People boat designed and built by Wayne Adams down here in Gold Beach. (Same power plant)

Anyway, I guess I am looking for some "factual" info on the Raptor. I have spoken to Jim and Mike at Willie.. great guys.. very helpful!

One of the questions that I have deals with the kicker motor... do I get the welded on kicker bracket? or the stern notch that I see on many inboards these days?
Any thoughts?

I will most likely be posting my 22.5 open Willie Poedator on here shortly.. and it will be priced to sell :smile: Full top and all.!

[ 09-10-2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: TH ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
TH,

See my other post re: trolling motors. In response to this post though: I LOVE MY RAPTOR. I feel I did my research before I settled on this boat. And it has exceeded my expectations. You can talk to any of the guys at Willie; they know my boat. It is the "Innovation not Imitation" Raptor. Here's my setup: 24' center console, 4 sliding guide seat boxes with arms, 250 Optimax Sportjet, 8hp Yamaha hi-thrust, placediverter trim tab and too much other candy to list. I set this boat up for ocean, bay and river fishing. The best feature is the variable hull configuration. It is the best of all worlds. Cuts the waves, softens the chop and flat out hauls on flat water. It tracks extremely true when trolling; it goes where I point it. On windy days I don't have problems with the wind wanting to push my bow around. It also is very stable. There have several threads here about open boats on the big blue...I am not a risk taker, but there was not situation this summer that I felt uncomfortable on the ocean. The Raptor rides with nice clearance even with 30" sides.
Can you tell how much I like this boat????!!! I am in the Portland area. You're welcome to call me for more info or, if possible, hook up to take a run in my boat before you make your final decision. Let me know. If you liked your Predator you will love a Raptor. :cheers:

SloTroll

The Raptor lovin' fisherman. :dance:

·
Banned
644 Posts
TH, I'm in the same situation (boat) :smile: I have a 20' Predator and I've been thinking of getting a Raptor. The only issue I have is they seem to be SLOW? I realize the bottom is totally different than the Predator, but the Raptor seems to just not get up and go? I've kinda been holding off to see if they make any changes this winter? I wonder if Tim W. (spelling sorry) would offer an un-biased opinion now that he's run his boat for a while? I've owned a three Predators over the last ten years and don't think I'd ever leave the brand I just don't know that the model is going to become a legend like the Predator?

·
Registered
439 Posts
While I can't opine as the the general merits of a 24' raptor, I belive any 24' boat with a 350 and a pump is going to underpowered, and will disappoint you. I would look at the fuel injected 6 liter chev as an option, or even the 8.1 liter-especially since you are going to spend the extra money for the 212 pump. You can load a lot of people and gear in a 24' foat boat for a 350 pump setup to handle. Also-with the bigger engine, you can go with coarser pitch inpeller, and lower your RPMs necessary to cruise, so you don't necessary incease fuel consumption.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey slo troll
can you give me a number where you can be reached
I 'd like to bounce some things off you..
or you can send me an email... I cant find yours?
thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts