IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made the plunge and bought a boat - 1998 18' Alumaweld Super Vee. :grin:

Since this is my first boat, I'm kind of starting from scratch as to all the "extras" I need to purchase.

I have already bought some Scotty rod holders, an anchor and buoy system, lifejackets and fire extinguisher.

What else should I be looking into buying? Please give me as many ideas as you can think of as I want to completely outfit it right the first time (also while I have the money set aside to do it).

Thanks for everyone's input in advance.

Mike

[ 05-06-2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: blacktail ]

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
I am new to the sled game too. Besides tha basic safety stuff, I think I will fish it for a while and see what I need compared to what I want. I did this on the drifter and it actually turned into a boat in just 3 years!

It seems to me that it would be real easy to spend a lot of money on stuff that never gets used. I like minimum boats. No more James Bond stuff than necessary.

If I were to order a drifter today, I have a real good idea of what it would look like. 20 years ago( when i started rowing), I did not have a clue as to what I wanted.

My 2 cents.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ever notice the difference in the price for a new car advertised at a dealership and the price of a fully loaded comparable model ?

Here's where the fun starts with a new boat...
Sometimes outfitting the boat with all the extras costs as much as the damn boat itself.

Since I just went through this several months back, I will try to remember my list:

#1 item lots of lifejackets in different sizes and a good throwable floatation device,Rubber bumper's, depth/fish finder(s), extra ropes, sea anchors, heater, radio,new tackle box, new tackle, crab pots with floats & ropes, Holszit pliers, scissors, and pliers holders,more new tackle, cutting board, new fillet knives,new tackle, assortment of scents, more new tackle, flashlight/spotlight,horn, net, telescoping hook-pole, lead, lead tray, more new tackle, lots of old towels/rags, pee bucket, new cooler/s, binoculars, digital camera,more new tackle, extra rain gear for all your new fishin buddies, extra rods & reels for all the new friends you'll be entertaining, more new tackle, Tr-1 auto pilot, ski-biscuit, sunscreen, lots of bait, more new tackle, fire extinguisher, tie down straps, maps of local rivers, a 2nd new tackle box for all the extra crap you bought to catch fish to justify the $$ your spending on this new investment.

Did I mention you'll be buying some new tackle ?

Good luck, and enjoy the new boat. Hope my list helps you think of some items you may have forgotten.

P.A. :wink:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I agree with parthur, his list was pretty complete. Personally, I would have added "more new tackle"
I think the most important thing to do is to make sure it complies with all the boating regs (i.e. life jackets float cushion extinguisher, etc.)
When I got my boat, the first thing I did was to get the regs and make sure it would pass an inspection. Then I took the advise of my friends that already had boats, threw half of the list away because I couldn't afford those things, and then told my family what (boating) things that they could get me for fathers day, b-day, etc.
It's been three years and I'm still not done.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great to hear you found a boat that fits your needs....I hope you enjoy it....and score with the springers....best of luck, hope to see you on the river....I will let you know when my new NR arrives.... :cheers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would definately start with what is needed to make it legal on the water. Then go with all the extra necessities listed in parthur's post. It wouldn't be very fun to take the boat out for the first time and get a ticket or told to get off the water.
I have another suggestion for trying to equip. the boat and save. There are a number of things that can be made or customized by yourself or friends and relatives, i.e. I was able to get my brother-in-law to make me a very nice folding river anchor completely out of stainless steel for nothing. The equvilent in a zink coated one cost $80.00. A friend had his crab davot(? on spell) custom installed by an accaintance for little or nothing. So don't forget to use those resources available to you to save. That way you can buy "more new tackle".

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
Here's a few odds and ends that might save your day: communication device, (be it cellphone, VHS radio, etc), GPS unit, compass, flares. Zip-ties to fix your anchor if it's the breakaway release kind. 2million candle power spotlight. Extra knife w/sheath to afix nearby the anchor rope for emergency cut-away; extra water/gas separator filter (if absent install one). A few basic tools for your engine - spark plug sockets, etc.

Double check the gas guage is accurate, some are way off - nothing like running out of fuel when the guage shows 3/8.

Other helpful items: crab guage, 60" stick-on measuring stick, a few bungee cords, spare tire for trailer (and lug wrench that fits), extra bulbs for trailer lights.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Throw in a decent First Aid kit. Mine has been used a couple of times. At the least it may save you a run to the ramp and may keep you fishing instead of ending your trip.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Gongrats on the new boat!

You will need a decent propane heater, and a top...at least a bimini top to keep the rain off..a fish finder, a good p-can and a pair of good sunglasses.
You will like the top and heater when it gets cold.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats on the boat! I just bought a new/used 17' super vee two weeks ago so I know what you mean. A couple of suggestions:

1. Signal horn or whistle.
2. Pee bucket! (Almost forgot mine, ended up being a Big Gulp cup the first trip)
3. Fish finder (Humminbird has a new one out that looks really interesting called the Matrix 35. It not only shows you what is beneath your boat, but also a side view. Check it out on there web site.)
4. Oar
5. Cut-plug herring cutter
6. Extra rain gear
7. Garbage bags to send fish home in.
8. Rubber gloves to keep your scent off the bait
9. Cup holders w/ couple of extra coffee cups
10. Some type of fish Wacker
:shocked: 11. Net
12. Spare plug for the boat
13. Hide-A-Key in the boat(for when you forget)
14. Lots of bandaids if you have friends like I do.
15. Spare fuses if your's aren't resetable.

Have fun out there. I sure am.

Trent

·
Registered
480 Posts
Heres my list:

-4 or 5 cell mag lite and mount (doubles as a fish wacker
-extra plug
-fuses
-small stainless tool kit
-utility knife
-vhf radio (cell service is questionable at times)
-gps (good for returning to that perfect spot AND may help save your life with the vhf help)
-two spools electrical wire and electrical tape (enough to go the length of the boat - twice)
-clean rags
-extra batteries for the vhf and gps -cup holders
-100 ft coil of 1/4 inch rope (not for anchor)
-1 roll duct tape
-mouth operated air horn
-1 copy each - fishing regs, boating regs
-spare tire (some even go so far as to buy a spare pregreased hub)
-jack and lug wrench that work for the trailer (the tow vehicles equipment doesn't always fit
-if the boat is moored, install an automatic bilge
-zip ties
-emergency kit (small first aid kit, space blanket, waterproof matches, signal mirror etc)
- stocking cap, warm gloves, lightweight raingear

Much of this stuff you will never use and you will wonder why it is there. Then Mr Murphy and his law will stroll by but you will be prepared. THe list also seems long but everything wil fit under one seat (except for the spare tire which is mounted on the trailer).

Have fun

·
Registered
499 Posts
Wash down pump with coiling hose and spray nozzle. Very nice to have. Saves room in the boat by not needing a bucket to wash out the fish blood and slime. Works well on mud tracked in from the bank as well. SPACE

·
Registered
909 Posts
congrats on the new boat I hope your ready to part with another 10 grand in stuff. I bought a new boat last year and have nearly $15,000 additional spent in stuff for it . Worth every last dime with the fun you will have in it.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
make sure you have all the stuff for safety. flare kit, extinquisher, first aid. Plus anything required like a type IV throwable floatation device. Tape measure for keepers, scale. Mesh bag for extra rope, plus extra rope and bumpers for mooring. The list goes on and on.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Congrats on the new boat! :cheers:

All excellent suggestions above! One addition... I made myself a "Master List" and it's been invaluable!

I keep it in the truck, and check it before I leave my driveway, EVERY time I go out! Several times I've been sitting in the truck, ready to head out, sure I had everything, and checked my list only to find out I'd forgotten something Important! Like my license?

Works exceptionally well for those of us who occasionally suffer from "senior moments".... :grin:

·
Registered
846 Posts
A couple of ball point pens, bottles of drinking water, a stack of grease rags, and some small terry cloth towels, a pair of heavy cotton gloves. Aspirin and antacids in the 1st aid kit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts