IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought id see if im getting my $ worth out of my new boat.
The other day a fellow ifisher mentioned that if I took the $ i spend on my boat and hired guides with that same amount , that I would have better results (catch more fish) and have better memories.
The first year for Nimpkish (boat name).
40 days fished.
5 days at buoy 10 and the C.R. bouy. We landed one 37lbs, one 32lbs, one 25lbs and too many coho to count.
6 days at the wind for springers . We landed one that was 35lbs. and about 10 others.
11 days on Vancouver Is. We landed around 20 Halibut biggest being about 20 lbs. Three good ling.Several (5) Yellow eye . Rock cod (30). Way too many coho to count , I guess 100. Maybe 20 pink salmon. Several good springs(chinook) a 25lb. and a 30lb.
The remainder of the fishing days were spent on Henery's Lake , Got a 5lb rainbow. Hebgin Lake Montana ,landed to many to count.American Falls Res. and last but not least several days on Cliff Lake Montana.
In case you didnt notice there was no Tuna on my list ...... Next year!!! My boat has not caught a fish on exactly two days of the 40. In my mind the memory of watching my 11 year old son and his best friend catch all the salmon the could reel in, was the highlight. Im going to call it well worth every red cent. id. painter

·
Registered
428 Posts
You get your moneys worth the first time the hull hits the water. Fish when you want, where you want and with whom ever you choose what could be better? Learning new places to fish and new ways of fishing can be frustrating at times and you will screw up(lord knows I have)and have a few bad experiences. However in the end the learning is a great deal of the fun. Also your bad experiences can be used as learning experiences for others and save them the pain if you are willing to help others. I've fished with a couple of guides a few times and in my opinion it is not the same. I took my son, grandson and grandaughter out last weekend, that trip alone was worth every penny I spent on the boat. My grandaughter 3 years old held the butt of her pole for hours and fought of my grandson for her corner of the boat. She is now known as the little Mariner!
Randy

·
Registered
111 Posts
New Thunder Jet--$25,000
Accessories--$4,000
Fishing gear--$1000
Memories and friendships that last a lifetime built fishing with friends and family--Priceless

·
Registered
630 Posts
:cheers: Beleive it or not it's not alway's about the catching...some of my best trips have been the least productive.I go for the enjoyment of being out there as much as for the fish! keep your boat. I figure my fish cost about twice as much as buying them,but the comroderie and the fun is worth alot to me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cowlitz77,
which Thunder Jet did you get? How is it set up?

I bought a Thunder Jet/off shore bracket/140 Suzuki 4 stroke. Still trying to figure out it's limitations? Great gas mileage!
Fish count acceptable but not as important as the camaraderie and fun for family & friends.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys guys .
The actual fish count is the least important part of being a boat captin.
My friend just bought a new N.R..
He is feeling a bit "gut shot" he spent a good pile of cash and could use some happy boat owner exclimations .
I guess time in the water with his new baby will calm his nerves ,,,, I was hoping some of your great experiences would help him.
New boat owners with great experiences ,,, I thought he could use a little reauring. id.painter

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops, someone said spelling isn important.
Reasuring, I ment to say. id.p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Reef Diver, I bought a 19 Luxor witht the sport jet--really happy with it. Fuel economy is ok and plenty of fishing room--Run the Cowlitz and this time of year not much water but the boat handles it great.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since owning a boat....I have learned so much...... I have experienced many sunrises. I have experienced friendly boaters and drunks. :cheers: I have exprienced pairs of mating eagles.
I have experienced pelicans scooping up fish and flying away. I have discovered moon snails, clams, many types of see life from jelly fish to whales, sunfish, seals, sea lions, dungeness crabs, red rock crabs. :laugh: I have experienced 600 foot ships that sneek by like ghosts (except for their wake). :shocked: I have experienced Coast Guard rescues, sinking boats, trailering in the wind without cussing (because the kids were there). I have experienced Oceans, lakes, rivers and tributaries from the water. I have experienced someone cranking up their boat and warming it up before puting it in the water (not anyone I knew). I experienced tug boats, barges and jetboats. I have had the opportunity to explain to my children about the wreaths of flowers floating by our boat on Memorial day and what they mean. I've caught a few fish and crabs and more sunburns than my limit. :blush: Made some new friendships..........I could go on for a lot longer............but the best thing of all is waking my family at 0 dark 30 to experience it along with me. :dance: It is absolutaly priceless teaching and sharing these excursions with my family (daughter, son and wife).
Also teaching our children how to be stewards of our natural resources along the way.
.............I look forward to the day when at 0 dark 30 my son or daughter will say "Hey pops, grab your cane and crawl into this life jacket, let's go see if we can catch some fish today and see some eagles today.............

Owning a boat is priceless!!!!!

Just a parting thot, If a hot tub can be written off on taxes as therapy......shouldn't boat owners have the same priveledge?????

[ 09-24-2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Crabby ]

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got in a rush and forgot to ask for others input.
Give me your new boat one year tally. Im interested .
I see lots of new boat posts ,, there must be some out there. id. painter

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks you very much Crabby and the rest .
That paragraph by Crabby was exactly what i was hoping for . I describe the same things ,, but it never hurts to have other opinions for back up ammo. Thanks lets here some more from"happy boat owners " and why.
id. painter

·
Registered
428 Posts
id. painter
Tell your friend he has made an investment in many hours of enjoyment and as hard as it is not to fret about the money spent just a few trips and he will feel better. The boat's the easy part it's all the neat fishing gear that adds up! Just kidding! My new NR is 4 for 4. Look on the bright side he could have wanted a boat and not been able to afford it. Now that would be something to be bummed about.
Randy

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hogback you are absolutly correct.
I am positive that all those worries will fade as he sees the wide open smiles of his kids faces.
My friend is a pretty frugal guy so this buying a new boat thing seems like a strange luxury and expense.
Personally ,Last year i came within hours of being dead (crushed spine). As you die you are not at all concerned about all the things you think(worry) about each day. All you think about are the important poeple and the important memories.Thats all. I have been stuck on this for a year now ,it was a real eye opener for me ,but,,, you only take the memories with you. I have a renewed sense of responsibiliy to myself and my family.I instantly went and bought the boat I really wanted. Zero regrets.
We just dont know what the future has instore for us and if your are just waitting ,,,you had better have a good reason,for it may very well end before you are ready.
Im 44 years old , im in great health , an athlete , educated, dont smoke and dont drink, almost died at age 43, neck injury.
I used to think I was waitting for the right time . Not any more.
I also think my injury has changed my friends attitude as well ,,,, he just hasnt accepted it completely ,,, YET. id. painter

·
Registered
428 Posts
Id.painter
Many of my friends died young, I've almost been killed several times. When your life passes before your eyes it don't look like money! Love your babies and live, don't look back something may be gaining on you.
Randy

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very well said ,,, is that yours . That is exactly what became so very clear. Your words will echo through my mind forever. Thanks . id.p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts