IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most affective cure for catching summer and winter steelhead and the easiest to use? Does it matter when I take the eggs out of the fish (meaning can I bleed the fish and set it on the bank and take the eggs out later). Is it ok to freeze the eggs and if so what kind of container should I use. Thanks a lot for all the help in advance.

·
Registered
11,120 Posts
Here you go,
1) always bleed your fish
2) the safest place for the eggs is inside the fish
3) you should never freeze them before curing.

You can use almost any of the over the counter cures with great results, but I have heard that steelies like borax based cures ;)

Cure the eggs as soon as possible, and dont leave in the fish for more than a few hours, the enzymes in the fish will start to break them down.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
A little borax, some brown sugar, a little bit of cherry jello and you are good to go. Go easy on the Borax as it drys the eggs out. You want a little dryer egg for winter fishing. Just my opinon.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
After the eggs are out of the fish, I like to put them in the fridge on wax paper overnight to toughen the skein a little. Cut them into appropriate size chunks 24 hours later then cure with borax. I do this in plastic zip lock bags so I have reasonable size portions for each fishing trip. I put borax in each plastic bag, and borax on a paper plate. I roll each bait on the borax plate to coat all sides, then dump the bait in a bag. When I have dozen or so baits in the bag, I seal the ziplock, then shake it around a bit to get better coverage on the baits, and segregate them a little so they don't stick together. At this point you CAN freeze the bait, and they'll be good all winter. Borax makes a drier bait than the other cures that use other chemicals.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Amerman steehead cure.. Really! One bottle to deal. Fast and easy. You're done in less than 5 minutes. :smash:

jc

·
Registered
788 Posts
Any over the counter cure will work, as will the borax cures listed above. Just treat them right before curing --bleed the fish, keep the eggs inside until you're home, and don't wait three nights to cure them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts