IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question to ask about the "impacts" of the gill net fishery on the Columbia River Spring Chinook. I believe that I had read on one of these threads that the gill mortally was originally thought to be around 23% or so. Then I recall reading that the commercial boys had did a new study that showed that they were only about 18%.

So my question is this; was the new figures that were developed done by using the "tangle nets" or where they developed by using the "standard sized" chinook gill nets? Which figure is now being used to split the mortally rates for the up coming chinook fishery? Was it the old standard chinook nets or is it the tangle nets figures?

Which one is now going to be used?

Thanks,

Cowlitzfisherman

· Registered
2,377 Posts
i believe the 18.5 percent mortality is from the tangle nets, but, it would be impossible to catch that many springers with the tangle nets and not go over the 2 percent limit on esa listed steelhead, so thats probly why they want to increase the esa steelhead take to 7 percent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.