IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Gary K - we also release wild springers, steelhead and coho to have them die from mishandling. A popular guide on this board is famous for letting steelhead bite for ever before he sets the hook - I've heard from several people that fish with him that most of them swallow it - why doesn't that get criticized here?

Over 90% of unclipped fish I see cought are at least netted, and many of those are brought on board before they are released. Gillnetters aren't the only ones killing unclipped fish. I want the gillnetters out of the river too, but I continue to see so many posts on these threads that are so inaccurate or only mention 1/2 the facts.

It's always a point of contention on these threads, but from what I've witnessed firsthand, I think sturgeon mortality is very low for those fish released from gillnets. I'd agree that it's not good for them and we should be trying to avoid it, but I don't think too many die. Salmon and steelhead are a different story - most of them are dead or close to it when they get in the net. However, with 9 inch mesh it is a selective fishery - very few steelhead or coho's are large enough to get trapped in 9" mesh. And, gillnetters have zero incentive to net sturgeon and then spend the rest of the night getting them out of the net when they can't retain them. Sometimes they can't avoid the sturgeon, but many times they can.

Jetsled1 - you were mistaken - 5000 lbs maybe - a CR gillnet boat cannot hold 100,000 lbs. of fish. I know a guy who almost sunk one with 8000 lbs of fish back in the 80's. 5000 lbs = $2500. If they made $50,000 to $100,000 in a night like you said, a lot more folks would be doing it and the boats wouldn't look like old bathtubs that are about to sink.

This issue really boors me anymore - there are at least a few "anti-gillnet" threads a week on this topic and most are "I hate gillnets - they need to go - they kill everything, so there!!!"it always seems to bring out the most pigheaded stubborn responses and then the really heavily thought out political responses but it usually ends up boiling down to "we want all the fish" "they want all the fish" "we're right, they're wrong" Most of the posts I see on this issue just make me think sportfishermen are selfish.

Thanks, Bill Monroe for having the backbone to post your opinions here - as unpopular as they may be. I have a friend who is a gillnetter and I used to tease him about his nets of death. I now call them the nets of love since I think I've cought more fish on hook and line this year than he has cought gillnetting.

I still would prefer if they did away with the practice on the CR, but I keep seeing so many posts from sportfishermen who just can't get the facts straight. It doesn't suprise me one bit that sportsfishermen haven't been able to win this battle based on what I read here. Some of you guys who are always calling gillnetters ignorant neandrathals (this isnt' directed at you, specifically, Ray S. :smile: ) ought to look in the mirror or get your facts straight.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Well put, Tyeebuster. I agree with you about the Youngs bay fish and the thought on harvesting excess hatchery fish - but do people really want to eat those? I really like the idea, but it seems to be a logistical nightmare - what do they do, just let each "former gillnetter" show up at the hatchery and dip his allotment of fish out of the holding tanks? I don't see that ever happening and if it did, sportfishermen would be irate - they'd want to do the same thing.

The gillnetter I know doesn't do it for the money - he and his family grew up gillnetting and likes the "fishing" aspect of it - just like we like the fishing aspect of using hook and line. It's like anything - if you were raised doing it, it's part of you and you believe in it regardless of what some other special interest group says.

You are right though - there are plenty of fish to support a limited commercial harvest, and the hatchery idea would result in the lowest mortality to non-targeted species, but would probably result in the non-fishing population swearing off salmon as a food source. :sick:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'd have to agree with you there, Gary K - the gillnetters catch their fish much more quickly than the sports meet their quota, no question. The gillnetters will all tell you that the sports kill many more "wild"(I believe it's more accurate to call them "unclipped") springers, steelhead and coho than they do through poor catch and release, but I don't know if there's evidence to support that.

Isn't that what our sport quota is based on too - How many unclipped will die from mishandling? Otherwise, they'd never shut it down if we're just harvesting hatchery fish and the released fish all survived. It just takes sports a longer season to kill their "acceptable amount" than it does the gillnetters.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
MM - Nanook does know everything about gillnetting. He was a commercial gillnetter from 1890 to 1905, and then he...... :laugh:

Actually - you are probably right, MM - I doubt most people here have ever set foot on a commercial gillnet boat in the CR - nor would they want to for fear of drowining in the millions of fish they must all catch :grin:

Now that I think about it - Nanook - 10 fish, 9 on your rod with the nets in - impossible.

[ 09-18-2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.