IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,604 Posts
I think it's far from over, but others are gonna quit, I spose...too bad, too...lots of fish to *** .

·
Premium Member
22,604 Posts
My guess is that many of you might think the party's about over on the Columbia. There are likely to be fish around, though, since not all the netters are fishing because of prices...

Anyway, as I understand it a moment ago at the compact meeting, the net season resumes at 7 p.m. tonight through 7 p.m. Friday night from Beacon Rock to the mouth. This time, chinook-sized mesh is allowed throughout.
Another season will be from 6 p.m. Sunday to 6 p.m. Monday...
They'll meet again Friday and almost certainly approve some more seasons next week.

FYI...Coho (and a few chinook) fishing was excellent out of Hammond this morning...as per John Krauthoffer (sp?)

·
Premium Member
22,604 Posts
Let's see here, Scott...
Steve King has been in charge of salmon management for Oregon for about a decade now and the runs...both spring and fall...are setting records...even given good ocean conditions, that's not bad...

·
Premium Member
22,604 Posts
Curiously enough, the netters themselves had some similar conversations and complaints at the telephone meeting with the compact yesterday...their buyers had a hard time selling fish on such short notice and it's so late in the season the quality is, indeed, down...they'd like more stable, earlier seasons but also realize the conflicts with sport, so at least some of you can rest in peace knowing no one seems happy.

Still, fish farms or not (read any of our pollution and mercury stories lately), these are the public's fish, not ours...lose the commercials and guess what Congress does with the hatchery money...

You gotta see the forest through the trees for crying out loud...

Nuts.

(and thanks KT)

·
Premium Member
22,604 Posts
Well put, Mark (or the dog)...
And one of the problems with the ocean fishery is reduced time and impacts on other river systems (Klamath, Rogue, Skagit, etc..). The Columbia nets target Columbia fish...that's pretty selective and a lot easier management tool. I don't defend gill-netting. I defend resource and access...in that order, by the way. Archaic? Fish wheels? Perhaps, but in a few more years, the spring tangle fishery will be down to a science. And taking fall fish upriver in front of hatcheries means even less quality, market and, ultimately, access.

Ah yes...the tribes...
Yes, they're strong. One of the first red flags I raised in this job 22 years ago was defense of the tribes and their right to fish...and, most of all, the need for everyone to get along and get united.
I think it's pretty much accepted that if the non-tribal commercial nets are shut down, the tribes will move downriver (remember that qaulity thing?). They haven't yet because they're respecting space...

Sure that's all speculation, but it's pretty good speculation...I didn't just walk up to the turnip truck...

Clearly not all of you are going to agree or even hang up the sword.

But there's also something to be said for respecting space...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.