IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the info....I think

Will the Coho get through those nets or is it over?

·
Premium Member
22,191 Posts
I think it's far from over, but others are gonna quit, I spose...too bad, too...lots of fish to *** .

·
Registered
993 Posts
well Steve king at work again do you remember and im sure you do that the b 10 fishery you could only keep one king salmon tell me how they can keep the nets in that long now we have been robed again i talked to a netter on tuesday he caught so many fish above camas that it sunk his net(he did find it)as long as mr king is around this what you have to kook forward to thats going to be one big void in the river dont you think Bill

do you feel the LOVE to you mr king

·
Registered
596 Posts
good point Scott, whats the difference anyway between lower river around b-10 and up here here is 2 nooks while there is one , i dont see the diff.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Can anyone give a report that they actually saw the commercial boys go in tonight??? When I talked to WDFW the commercials informed them after they got their seasons that they (the commercials) were going to meet to decide whether to strike or not. I called WDFW Vancouver office right at 5pm and at that time they hadn't heard anything.

Anybody know if they are in??

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
ZYou are all missing the point. What's really sad is the by catch. One Gill netter I know caught over 100 legal Sturgeon on an early lower river drop for them. It was a Salmon drop with just a few ( I think it was 7) legal Sturgeon that they could keep. Thats a hundred gilled legal sturgeon that may or may not have made it. This guy is about as low as you can go on the totem pole of life so I can't imagine he treated them real well on release.

GET RID OF THE NETS!

Traps would make so much more sense if the politicians would get there heads back where the sun does shine!

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
This just isn't right. Heard they were only getting 50cents a lb.,how can that be worth while? Spock was right,the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few.

·
Ray S.
902 Posts
I have been a commercial fisherman my entire adult life. From tuna fishing all over the Pacific, small boats up and down the coast, crabbing in the Bering Sea and now I longline in the Bering. As times change and fisheries change we learn to evolve and go with the flow. These neanderthal pukes need to get a life and move on. They aren't making money doing what they do. They just don't have the cajones or the brains to give it up....I am sick to my stomach...
Good luck guys
Ray

·
Premium Member
22,191 Posts
My guess is that many of you might think the party's about over on the Columbia. There are likely to be fish around, though, since not all the netters are fishing because of prices...

Anyway, as I understand it a moment ago at the compact meeting, the net season resumes at 7 p.m. tonight through 7 p.m. Friday night from Beacon Rock to the mouth. This time, chinook-sized mesh is allowed throughout.
Another season will be from 6 p.m. Sunday to 6 p.m. Monday...
They'll meet again Friday and almost certainly approve some more seasons next week.

FYI...Coho (and a few chinook) fishing was excellent out of Hammond this morning...as per John Krauthoffer (sp?)

·
Premium Member
22,191 Posts
Let's see here, Scott...
Steve King has been in charge of salmon management for Oregon for about a decade now and the runs...both spring and fall...are setting records...even given good ocean conditions, that's not bad...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Bill we all know that you are pro gillnets do you realy think Steve King has any thing to do with it come on Bill if it wasent for the Indians we would not have this kinda run

mr king

GET THE NETS OUT OF THE RIVER JUST THINK WHAT THE FISHING COULD BE LIKE

·
Registered
33 Posts
I watch and read these threads and every time this subject comes up, its the same old thing. One gear type (hook and line) complaining that that another gear type (gillnets) is interfering with their fun.
I've noticed in my life, that the people that are the newest to an activity, act like they know everything about it.
If one takes a step back and looks at the issue from neutral ground, it is just one group wanting to take everything. Thats hard to justify in my mind especially with a natural resourse.
I know my position isn't popular on this site, so lets keep this civil....lol...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
MM I agree with your last statement. The netters blindly refuse to net selectively and are demanding a larger piece of the mortality allocation, so they can keep their death curtains in the river. Thus, they have to take it from the sporties. Demanding more springer allocation and presenting a proposal to stop all Columbia Spring Sprotsfishing reinforces my point. One group taking it from another.

Instead of opening their eyes, and working on a way to access their portion of the allocation, they hold on to an outdated fishing method that doesn't work under present day ESA constraints.

By the tone of your opening statement, its obvious you are not on neutral ground and any claim to be doesn't help your cause.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't want to start any arguments here but,
I just talked to a comercial guy at the boat launch at 42nd ave. across fron the airport, he said that they got 5000 kings last night with one set that they got mostly sturgeon, :mad: he didn't say how many sturgeon they got but, if they only get 50 cents per pound thats about $50,000.00
for one nights work, that doesn't seem too bad to me. I am figuring an average of 20 lbs per fish. he said that they were going to go back in tonight so if they do the same they just made $100,000.00 in two nights now for me that seams like it is worth while for them, not us, to go out. :shrug:
I really hope I missunderstood him
and they only got 5000 lbs of fish because if he got 5000 fish they will never leave the river :whazzup:

[ 09-18-2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: jetsled1 ]

·
Registered
190 Posts
How big a gillnet boat was that?? 5000 fish?
What I read in the Columbian this morning that 39 deliveries were made; 2,345 Chinook ,2,065 Coho.
Those are totals for fleet I think. Could of been much worse. :hoboy:

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Well spoken Finclipped.

The indisciminate killing method is the issue.

We release wild coho - only to have them killed in nets.

We release wild springers - only to have them die in nets.

We release ripening fish so they can spawn and perpetuate the runs - only to have them die and be wasted in nets.

It's time to send the commercial gillnets to the same place where waterfowl punt guns and other historical market slaughter relics are - a museum.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Gary K - we also release wild springers, steelhead and coho to have them die from mishandling. A popular guide on this board is famous for letting steelhead bite for ever before he sets the hook - I've heard from several people that fish with him that most of them swallow it - why doesn't that get criticized here?

Over 90% of unclipped fish I see cought are at least netted, and many of those are brought on board before they are released. Gillnetters aren't the only ones killing unclipped fish. I want the gillnetters out of the river too, but I continue to see so many posts on these threads that are so inaccurate or only mention 1/2 the facts.

It's always a point of contention on these threads, but from what I've witnessed firsthand, I think sturgeon mortality is very low for those fish released from gillnets. I'd agree that it's not good for them and we should be trying to avoid it, but I don't think too many die. Salmon and steelhead are a different story - most of them are dead or close to it when they get in the net. However, with 9 inch mesh it is a selective fishery - very few steelhead or coho's are large enough to get trapped in 9" mesh. And, gillnetters have zero incentive to net sturgeon and then spend the rest of the night getting them out of the net when they can't retain them. Sometimes they can't avoid the sturgeon, but many times they can.

Jetsled1 - you were mistaken - 5000 lbs maybe - a CR gillnet boat cannot hold 100,000 lbs. of fish. I know a guy who almost sunk one with 8000 lbs of fish back in the 80's. 5000 lbs = $2500. If they made $50,000 to $100,000 in a night like you said, a lot more folks would be doing it and the boats wouldn't look like old bathtubs that are about to sink.

This issue really boors me anymore - there are at least a few "anti-gillnet" threads a week on this topic and most are "I hate gillnets - they need to go - they kill everything, so there!!!"it always seems to bring out the most pigheaded stubborn responses and then the really heavily thought out political responses but it usually ends up boiling down to "we want all the fish" "they want all the fish" "we're right, they're wrong" Most of the posts I see on this issue just make me think sportfishermen are selfish.

Thanks, Bill Monroe for having the backbone to post your opinions here - as unpopular as they may be. I have a friend who is a gillnetter and I used to tease him about his nets of death. I now call them the nets of love since I think I've cought more fish on hook and line this year than he has cought gillnetting.

I still would prefer if they did away with the practice on the CR, but I keep seeing so many posts from sportfishermen who just can't get the facts straight. It doesn't suprise me one bit that sportsfishermen haven't been able to win this battle based on what I read here. Some of you guys who are always calling gillnetters ignorant neandrathals (this isnt' directed at you, specifically, Ray S. :smile: ) ought to look in the mirror or get your facts straight.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Taylor,

We have long agreed that "sport fisherman" often do not handle "wild" fish as well as they should. I still belive that we could do a better job by using single barbless hooks when in a fishery that the release of "wild" fish is required.

However, I have fished commercially (and logged) for a period of my life. With this first hand expirence, I can say that THERE IS NO REASON TO GILLNET ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER. However, I feel that there should be a limited commercial harvest of excess harcthery raised salmon. I belive that the Columbia River does have room for a viable commercial fishery. One example is the Youngs Bay fishery, these fish are pen raised and paid for by commercial gillnetters. These fish are harvested in an area where the chance of catching other fish "mixed" with them are remote. Second, I feel the return of a LIMITED number of fish traps are in order(in exchange for removing gill nets from the Columbia). This would provide for a true selective fishery. Any unwanted or unmarketable fish could simply be returned to the river.

I do feel that it is silly to harvest fish by gill net in a market that is already flooded with fish. As posted earlier, I was told the starting price for Columbia River salmon was 35 cent per pound for Coho and 40 cents per pound for Chinook. NOTHING for Tules. As an update a "friend" of mine fished the opener and had a great catch of fish. THE PROBLEM WAS GETTING SOMEONE TO BUY THEM AT ANY PRICE. The fish sat in his boat while attempting to secure a buyer.

I am positive that the economic benifit of sport caught salmon is far greater than commercially caught salmon. An earlier post was correct in identifying salmon as a natural resource. However, shouldn't we get the greatest economic benifit from this resource? Thanks for reading.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts