IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I don't like it either but with over 358,000 already over the dam they are just basicaly doing a mop up job.

At least they weren't let in a week ago.

·
Premium Member
22,175 Posts
I don't think it's all that big a deal, actually.

The Longview stretch downriver is coho mesh only (6-inch) and only Monday daylight and upriver I-5 to Beacon is nighttime only, four hours...that leaves a big stretch of un-netted river and Tuesday, Wednesday and maybe more with no nets at all.

Also, netters used up half of their allocation in August (unexpectedly). The run will be enough higher they'll probably get more fish, but not that many more.

Next compact meeting is Wednesday to decide additional seasons...

And David is right that they want lots of those fish used...

Tribes net Tuesday and there will be a lot of fish sold up there...

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Bill how many more CR bound Chinooks do you think are still in the Ocean ?

I guess you are right, they are not netting from Longview to I-5 and that will help.

My theory is that it doesn't really matter how many fish there are so long as there are some and
they are willing to bite. But it would be interesting to know how much of the run is still entering
from the Ocean. I have the sense that we are at the peak and the end is near.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just talked to a "friend" of mine who just happens to gillkill. He said that they were on strike until the prices improved and that they might not fish Monday because of the strike. He said they were going to get a whopping 40 cents a pound for non-tule chinook, 35 cents a pound for coho, and nothing for tules. Looks like a gillkilled chinook is worth about $8 on the market. How much is the same fish worth in the "sport market"?

·
Premium Member
22,175 Posts
Just talked with someone at my grandson's soccer game who caught an URB at buoy 10 yesterday...(sawdust pile)

·
Registered
155 Posts
fished on the Columbia today at Kalama and did not see any gillnetters running up the river. Looks like they may be holding out for higher prices. Fishing was slower today than it has been.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They only get to net Monday then right? Does any one have the address to find out what other days they go in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
They did net today. Not too many guys out and those that were didn't do real well. We caught URB's next to nets floating by. We talked to one and he said they weren't getting good prices and some weren't even netting at all. The action was definitely slower than it has been so tomorrows fishing is a question mark. ???? I'll try and find some fish somewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, just got my ifish membership. I have been following several of the topics lately and appears to be a great group to join. Don't let the nets detour you from fishing for URB's, I had my best day on the river last year after they netted my spot all night long. Nets should be banned, Grab a pole if want a fish.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
When you consider that on the Columbia we release Tules so they can spawn, and unclipped coho so the run can re-build (did both BTW last Friday) allowing gillnets that indiscriminately kill everything snagged in them is insanely stupid.

Killing fish for which there's no market (Tules, what they gonna do - dump em?)and others that are fighting their way back from extinction - :mad: :mad: :mad:

And don't forget these same clowns are lobbying for 50% OR MORE of the 2004 springer run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts