IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Wow! That is bad news. They will get 3x the number of Chinooks on August 11 that they usually get on August 6 or 7. The oldtime gillnetters always say that if they let them in a week later like they used to in the 60's, that they'd fill the boat up with Chinook. I know a gillnetter that usually gets 30-50 big chinooks on the August 7 opener. I'll bet he gets 200 on the August 11 opener. That's way too late!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I've never had any problem with the sturgeon, finclipped, but August 4 is a little early to expect to catch a chinook in the river even without the nets. The fish the gillnetters catch are moving on the night-time tides and they mainly get chinooks over 25 lbs. in that 9" mesh. I've never fished for salmon in the river the morning after a gillnet opener, but I've limited on sturgeon several times the morning after they took 5000 keepers out of the river.

The silvers just swim right through the 9" mesh, so if there are silvers in the river, the gillnets won't effect it, but don't count on catching a big chinook the next morning. What really sucks is the Aug. 11 opener - you can usually expect to catch a chinook by August 12 and that might screw it up good.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Finclipped - you're right, there are some big fish cought around the 5th-12th, just not very many of them. I didn't know you were a hog hunter or I'd probably have phrased my post a little different. Last year after the August 6 or 7 gillnet opener, I surveyed the carnage of chinooks at the cannery in Chinook and it was about 70/30 URB's to Tules. I think the Tules tend to be better biters though which is why we see more of them sportfishing. There's definitely some pigs in the river late the first week of August based on what I've seen on the gillnet boats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.