IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After yesterdays netting of the lower Columbia, I was apprehensive about the Columbia this morning. Had a backup plan to hit a trib close to home if things weren't hopping. Get on the water about seven and see a few nets waving. For the next hour, Dad and I see a few more nets waving. Now, my old faithful spinner wasn't getting it done. So, I pull out the DH. Red beads/gold blade. Oh yeah, can't forget Maries sticky shrimp scent. Hit a spot with quite a few fish on the finder and look ahead to see what the guy right nexts to me has hooked when, zzzzinnnnng. Line is peeling off the reel. These fish are feisty. After a short battle, 15 lb. URB hen in the boat. Now, here's where it gets exciting.
Same spinner still with a base of Maries scent on it. Put the rod in the holder and reach for the punchcard, zzzzzziiiiinnnngggggg. Line screaming off reel again. Hadn't moved but about 5-10'. This fish is taking off for St. Helens, the town that is. Dad gets on the controls and the chase is on. We battle, the fish and I. It comes up and I get a look at it. "Dad, this is a big fish." He says, "Not as big as that 40 lber you got last year." I tell him, "This is a BIGGG fish." He disagrees again. We net it and get in the cooler. The lid on the 105 qt. cooler won't close because the tail is hanging over one end while the nose is butted up against the lid on the other. This IS a BIG fish. :dance: :dance:
Well, to close this tale. Took it to Bobs for weighin for their fall derby. Their scale is broke. We figure something out and get a reading of 43 1/2 lbs. A different scale says 43 lbs. Not sure what weight they write down for the derby but it's good enough for third place. Then I take it to Ace for their derby and it weighs 44-8 on a Rapala digital scale. These are weights after gutting and gilling. So, any guesses on true weight right out of the water? One guy said 50, another 52-55. I don't know. :shrug:
PICS, Depoe Bay Dan met me at the ramp and took pictures with the digital, I don't have one. Hopefully his pics turn out and he can get them posted after his afternoon trip.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ssslayer...please get those photos posted....cant wait to see...good going and great story...hope it is not a fishy one...congrats..

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Congrats on the fish steelheadslayer! :cheers: Better post those pics. I know I'd like to see that hog :shocked:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Congrats........If it was a buck add 3/4 lbs for guts and gills. If it was a hen add 5/6 lbs because of the eggs if they were of any size( if they were immature same as the buck). Nice fish bring on the pics.

john

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
We want pics :shocked:

Nice fish :dance: thanks for sharing

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Wow, how cool :cool: is that!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the fish of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Dipnet :grin:

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Earl,
Remarkable fish and a great post as well!! :grin: Seems to be alot of fish still around, way to put the LB d'age in the keeper column
. Fished yesterday below longview with the nets in and went 3 for 4 with a couple of heavy thirty plus Lb'ers and a 12Lber. Congrats on a great feesh and a great day!! :cheers:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Kinda sounds fishy to me; broken scales, some goofball subposedly got some photo's. A guy from Depoe Bay taking pic's at a Longview boat ramp! Come on Earl, you can do better than that? :grin:

OK, confession time. I'm up here in God's country (Longview) and get together this afternoon with a couple friends (Bob Spar and Sturgeon Dave) for an afternoon fun trip on the Columbia and Cowlitz rivers. We meet at Gearhart Gardens and attempt to launch but in comes this big boat with a small fish and gets in our way. Hey, its Earl Steelheadslayer! Cool, I met Earl earlier this year and fished with once. Ok cool Earl, good to see ya again but now get out of our way so we can put our boat in and go fishin'. (That boat ramp is hurtin' this year)!

So Earl opens this big ice chest and pulls out this fish that is bigger than the ice chest. :shrug: How did he do that? It was kinda like one of those magician things. :grin:

So I ask Earl if he got a pic and he says no and I ask earl if he would like a pic and well I had to twist his arm real hard. :grin:

I took two pic's and I know they took because I saw them on my camera. But I am using BS Fishtales PC right now (Longview) and am not sure if I can download them onto their PC which I think I can but then I don't know what photo editing program is on here or if I can figure it out so the pic's will probably have to wait 'till tomorrow. But promise they will appear.

Wished I would have talked Earl into taking a better pic of his fish but there was boat trafic behind them at the busy launch. Sometimes you just kick yourself for those decisions that you didn't make.

By the way Earl I got me a nice cromer hen coho later (after we struck out in the Columbia) fishing that hole I showed you earlier this year in the Cowlitz casting a BW-08 wiggler. She was a bute and was totally amazing for a hatchery fish as it took off on a 50 yard dash without a thought of slowing.

Pic's tomorrow.

Dan

PS> I guessed Earl's jack weighed 45 pounds and Bob's (Spar) digital scale showed it right at 44 at the boat ramp where it had already been gilled and gutted. Geez Earl, how did you do that (gilled & gutted) out there in the river? Hang a fifty pounder over the side? No way, if I had put that pig in my boat it would have been there to stay 'till I was back on the beach.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Earl, I'm heading out to bank fish the spot where I caught my fish last night so if you see this early you might blast on down there to check it out.

Try and download your pic's later but the flash card reader Duane has got hooked up to this PC is not functioning. I bought one for this PC last year so I could download my camera when here at Brad's. Emailed my bro so hopefully he brings the card reader that I bought with him this morning and I can get it done.

Dan

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dan, it was great to see you again. I'm here this morning with the wife, she's off today. Afetr I take the daughter to school at 9, I gotta come home, shower and go donate blood, my 8 week ritual. Feel like I should due to having a somewhat rare type. Hopefully the pic upload will work Ok. I may swing by Brads today and see if you're around. I'll be back out there tomorrow trying to get that one even if the scale is totally broke there won't be any question. It won't even fit in the boat. :grin: :laugh:
Tha amazing thing is, the meat on that fish was a bright orange as any of my URB's this year, even that scrawny 15 lber I got yesterday. The only drawback was that I was up til midnight last night vacuum packing fish and taking care of the eggs I got from the URB I got Mon. Today I'm gonna smoke the hen I got yesterday and put her eggs up this afternoon.
Hope to see you today and if not, the next time you're up here. We gotta start hammering the coho when they show up in force.
Hope you got one today and hope to see ya later.
Earl

G

·
Originally posted by 5-Cents:

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

Thanks for Shaneing :dance: Nice sharing.

During intermission...... :laugh:

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
******, that pic will do for now. :laugh: Hopefully DBD can get things worked out today from where he's at. If not, you may have to wait for tomorrow. I gotta get a digital, SSOOOOOOONNNNN!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for Shaneing that, ******!!!!!!!

Dipnet :grin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts