IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm camping at Cape Lookout this weekend. Fishing and crabbing Nehalem Bay on Friday, then figure to be crabbing @ Netarts on Saturday.

I usually like to fish around while I wait for the Dungeness to cram themselves into my traps :rolleyes: ... so - what kind of fish might be there and how would you rig for them, and what parts of the bay are most promising for fish and crab? (I know stay away from the ocean.)

Any clues would be greatly appreciated, I don't have much experience with coastal fishing other than salmon.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I just spent a week at Oceanside. We crabbed and clammed Netarts several days. I tried fishing in the bay one afternoon, and got nothing. I hear there are some perch and flounder in there, but I only saw one(flounder), about 5 inches long, while clamming.

There is a big group of Harbour Seals in there, that steal bait off crab rings, and supposedly wreck crab pots. Just a heads up. We did get a few nice Dungeness and caught a bunch of Rock Crabs. You might ask about the fishing at the Netarts Bay Marina, where they rent the little putt-putts for the weekend crabbers.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I used to fish on the rocks right there by the boat ramp and down the street by the bay. My parents used to drop me off at those rocks with my gear and two dozen sand shrimp and take off for the day to go look at houses in the area. Always caught a few small greenling and sea bass. Occasionally when you would hit it just right you would catch surf perch, I think it's when they come in the bays to spawn? I have caught about a few 14-15" greenling off those rocks and a few pretty big sea bass.

Now, I just drop the pots and go walk on the "spit" for a little while, or if it's low tide I go get some clams while I wait, it's not as fun as fishing but in Netarts it makes for a more "productive" wait.

But I think if I absolutely had to fish, I would stop and beach my boat at the spit then walk to the ocean and fish for surf perch. Be careful that you know the tide so when you come back your boat isn't in the middle of the beach or floating away. If you know how to rig up for surf perch, this next part is useless to you.

I use my steelhead rod, two dozen small sandshrimp, a couple 2 or 3 ounce pyramid sinkers, some # 6 pretied worm hooks (you know the ones in the package with like 20 lb test and a loop on the end), and some bear claws (they are 2 pieces and white, one side attaches the hook and the other the main line, they act like a 3 way swivel). Rig it up with the sinker attached to the main line and then two hooks above it, one at 18" and the other a foot or so above that. Cast into the surf. Some guys try to wing that stuff out there 200 yards with these big old telephone pole rods, but it isn't necessary. I'll catch just as many or more a lot of times closer to the shore.

Well, there you have it, thats all I can tell ya about fishin' at Netarts. I'm sure that someone out there who knows more than me will step up with some more info, but at least this will get you started. Good luck and report back.

SH22

·
Registered
873 Posts
We live, clam, crab and fish at Netarts. The bay is a very productive clam and crab estuary. Fishing is not the best however. If you hit the top end of the flood, perch can be a target with sand shrimp as bait of choice.

As mentioned above, the harbor seals are a problem if fish carcass'es are used with rings while crabbing. We use pots and shad which is the best. If you are using rings, pick-up turkey legs from Fred Meyer north of Tillamook at about .50 cents per pound. Just slit the skin as it appears, crab don't like the skin. When we run out of shad, turkey becomes our 2nd choice of bait. As their is only one very small fresh water creek (Wiskey creek) and a couple of springs dumping into Netarts bay, the entire bay is salty which makes it crab productive both up bay and down bay. With no dairy farms within the area, the bay is also one of the cleanest on the entire north Pacific coast.

Good luck

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Lost Sailor, fishing in Netarts is not real productive. If there's a pretty good low tide (and I'm not looking at Sun.'s tides so I don't know) starting at low slack you can float the channel above the RV park at mid-bay, and cast little shrimp baits into the pockets along the eelgrass beds for the various bass fishes.

You only have an hour or so window of opportunity, because as the water deepens, you'll lose sight of the pockets.

Go ahead and drop some grabbing gear so that you'll get some Dungeness and rock crab to go with the bass.

There may also be some coho cruising around but Netarts is closed to retention.

[ 08-21-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll bring a book to read! Maybe some hand grenades for the sea lions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts