IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished these fish for 15-20 years and there is no other run like it in the NW. They come in chrome and go right up the river to vernonia & tributaries beyond. What make these fish so hardy is they size and shape of these fish is purportioned to the water they have to travel in. Basically none. A 30 lb fish is huge one for this run 12-18 is average. They have done well for years and numbers seem to be consistent if not improving. These summer fish enter the river in late July and continue through September. Most fsih will travel so fast that the average angler never even gets a shot at them. This is why they've done so well, they will evolve so long as man has little interference with it.

This is my reason for posting this thread. Now all of you have a little idea of how the run works.

We have a huge problem. ODFW has a fish trap located at the head oif tidewater & It is absolutely having a negative impact on the fish. These fish Come in fast and need to go up fast to get where they need to go. This fish trap only has small capabilities and is holding-up the run in one hole where death and disease is eminent. Almost all of these fish that are stacked in the hole should of gone through already and every day they get held back is another day their physical capabilities fade. These salmon are a one of a kind.

THEY ARE ALL NATIVE AND SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE.

Contact person for this is .........

Hall Weaks 541-867-4741
He is the person at ODFW in Newport who is in charge if the program to tag and release fish
It is all part of A Canadian Fisheries Treaty.
They want to know how many fish go up river. In a few years there will be none if it is not stopped.

Jim Erickson knows lots about this program and he could help to resolve this quickly. C'mon Jim help out your home river. Get this trap out of the river.

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Thanks for the info Kevin.

·
Registered
707 Posts
ODFW Will study things to death.I also have fish Nehalem for years about 20 years. That summer run Chinook fishery is asome And needs saved from the ODFW studying them.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts

You mean this one?

I think your phone number might be off, according to this sign.

They haven't finished building it. I too, am against these traps.

Jen

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those fish are all stacking below the trap and not able to reach their spawning grounds in time. Most of those fish will be spawned by sept 15-30 and need to be 75 or more miles up that river, which is flowing today @ a record low of 31cfs today.

If you ask ODFW it is not harming those fish at all. (BS) the water temp is 70F and if you hold up those fish in one hole they are depleating their oxygen badly. They need to get to the mouths of the smaller rivers to get cold water fast.

I'm sure if ODFW is doing the testing, it has to be correct? Ya right.

I could see a law suit from the Fed's if not acted on quickly.

Great pic Jen.

However I called Todd & He gave me the number to his supervisor/& or person Directly in charge of the trap.

I hope his voice mail gets full fast.

[ 08-23-2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: lund ]

·
Registered
400 Posts
yes, they are installing a we’ire on the lower South Fork of the nehalem.
yes it will kill fish ,as it has in the past,
I will write more about this and what can be done; and what has been done in the past,
when I get all my information gathered.
In the past we have directed all our efforts to the North Fork nehalem, and the necanicum ;
Problems like this take a joint effort by a lot of people to remove a scab like this from the river.
Things like this will go on however wrong they may ,be with the blessings of the Oregon department of fiction and wildlife, because they have no opposition .to some of their insanity.
however;
There is one group that has proven itself to be very politically motivated. and that is the Northwest steel headers. Of which we are a chapter.
I am sure a lot of you have seen some of the gains which we have made here in the northwest corner of Oregon.
But, to fight something like this and prevent it on other rivers. we need numbers to support us to get this device ripped out of the river. therefore we are going to go on a membership drive to increase our membership of our chapter to at least 50 members.
We have had a lot of the experience with wei’re’s over the years and we know firsthand the devastation they can cause a especially during low water conditions.
I will publish an article on how to join the steel headers when I get all the information rounded up.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Great Topic Kevin...........Last year there must have been hundreds of these fish kegged up there and they turned dark and the eventually died before they were able to reach their true spawning grounds. Not only did the trap harm them by holding them up in that area but igrorant anglers catching and killing these particular fish that have turned dark are by that point not fit for eating in my opinion. Jim, we dont see eye to eye on a lot of things but I agree here for sure.
John

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John,

Pick up that phone & call Hall & email everyone on that list so that they know the problem exsists.

When this thread disappears, so will the fish!
Everyones help is needed here!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
yes, they are installing a we’ire on the lower South Fork of the nehalem
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I know what a weir is but, what the heck is a we’ire :shrug: :wink:

[ 08-27-2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Woody ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I think that's the Celtic spelling ...

correct spelling for the contact person:

Hal Weeks
[email protected]

let's cc: the big guy, too -
[email protected]

[ 08-27-2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: lost_sailor ]

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Jim,
I belong to the ANWS Sandy Chapter, have the other chapters been notified of this problem so we can help out with our member numbers as well. We have our next meeting next Wednesday and I will bring this issue to the attention of our chapter if you'ld like. If our chapter wanted to contact someone in regards to helping out who would that be, you ?

JK

·
Registered
344 Posts
The warm water along with the Red Algae bloom that is occuring on the river at this time. Last year Jordan and I found ourselves at the falls to find thousands of fish stacked on their sides and on top of each other. It was the most awesome and digusting site we've ever seen on the river. My son got the report from ODF&W, what a joke. 100 pages of crap. What a waste of paper and fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts