IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anything going on in the mainstem of the nehalem up by the falls? this is usually the time of the year it kicks off really good. any information would be appreciated. thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I was there at the falls last weekend and the weedend before. Caught one native Jack(carefully let go) and saw alot of action around me. Most were very dark though. I saw numerous fish caught two weeks ago and not one kept(all too dark). I heard that there were a bunch pulled out in the morning last weekend, but the bite was off by the time we rolled in(we tried the Wilson first).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Is there any reason to turn a bright jack salmon loose? My understanding is that they serve zero purpose in spawning, they don't take a slot on your tag, and they taste great. Most I've seen this time of year are getting pretty dark by now though. They chase early hens upstream, hoping to get lucky with an older woman, but are usually infertile. Any biologists willing to chime in?

Dan

·
Registered
857 Posts
I caught a jack coho on the Sandy the other day, about 18 inchs in length. It was full of sperm.. I was suprised to see it..

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I guess it would have helped to say native COHO jack, huh? Yes, I would have loved to keep it(I could almost picture it on the barbie...), but the regs say no native Coho(including jacks) can be kept. Bummer

·
Registered
529 Posts
Glad to hear it was a silver. I'm not sure how common they are in the main Nehalem anymore. Hopefully they're re-establishing-or maybe they've been sneaking through all along. Coho are known to be fertile at a young age according to a report on the ODFW site, but I'm pretty sure that jack Chinook only shoot blanks. Good job getting that pup back into the water quickly!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ya, I was happy and sad. I liked seeing a native Coho in the river, but darn I don't have near enough fish in the freezer. I really wanted to eat that little guy. :smile: We got him in the net not even thinking that it would be a Coho, pulled him up, then right back down. It was a major pain getting the hook out while he was thrashing around with his head stuck in the net(hook/line got tangled in the net). But I got it out and he swam away unharmed. All's well that ends well... I'll be going back to chase those Chinooks next weekend. I'm already doing my rain dance for this coming week.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Nooky,

Jacks are viable spawners. They may not be able to compete with adults on the redds. But they have ways of sewing their royal oats. If they weren't successful, don't you think Natural selection eventually would eliminate jacks copmletely? There's a reason why that trait is passed on and exists today. It's a good thing that multi age classes of fish are represented on any given spawning year. If a major event happens to a years spawners, that brood year will still get other chances to pass the genes on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts