IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, am going out with my brother-in-law and sis this monday. They want to go to nehalem soak traps and fish for kings. I am thinking below bonnie and go for steelies, kings, sturgeon. Anyone want to put in their :twocents: on which one might give us more action?? Thx, yeep

· Banned
1,365 Posts
Ok, am going out with my brother-in-law and sis this monday. They want to go to nehalem soak traps and fish for kings. I am thinking below bonnie and go for steelies, kings, sturgeon. Anyone want to put in their :twocents: on which one might give us more action?? Thx, yeep

I'd fish the Columbia if it were me, although probably lower than Bonnie for better chance at chinooks. There are fish in Nehalem, but the action isn't red hot. Just my :twocents:

· Registered
44 Posts
nahalem has been sporatic - some days a few fish taken, some days none. and the crabbing is poor right now - many small females. we set three traps, pulled and moved three times over the day and got one legal.

didn't see a fish taken on friday, but a few showed on sat. the ocean temp is pretty high - went from 56 on thurs to 66 on sat. rain may help, but we really need some nw winds.

if it wasn't so far for me, i'd be up at the big c.

luck!

· Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm heading out to the CR right now to catch the high tide by St. Helens; I'll put up a report when I get back tonight.
Luck to all.
SC

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Re: Nehalem or Columbia

Live report from the mouth of the Lewis: been out here about 3 hours- anchored ~200 yrds above the picket fence - have only seen 1 fish caught (looked like a chinook) right at the mouth of the Lewis...good group of folks out today-met an old friend of the family (anchored next to me)...so despite the very slow fishing, a great day - esp. because there's no wind, and not a lot of pressure. I've been fishing wobblers, shimp tipped spinners and a K-15 Kwik on an Old Salty (those divers are seriously fun to fish...the trip action is great).I'll post again if I catch something or if the bite turns on around me.SC

· Registered
565 Posts
nahalem has been sporatic.

didn't see a fish taken on friday, but a few showed on sat. the ocean temp is pretty high - went from 56 on thurs to 66 on sat. rain may help, but we really need some nw winds.

if it wasn't so far for me, i'd be up at the big c.

luck!
:yeahthat:
Nehalem has slowed down big time as has the ocean. Might be better to fish Columbia.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Went to Nehalem today fished from 9:30 to 4:30 nothing for us, nothing seen.We were pulling spinners all day. Heard of one caught all day at jaws, we were @ wheeler, and never saw a fish. A bit early I think??? Soaked the pots too, two pulls got us 10 keepers. Tons of females, and a couple big ones, but crabbing was slow too.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
I was trying to figure out that too. Just curious as to what you meant by that statement? Not that I find it offensive being Vietnamese and all.

I would think the low pressure system this weekend would have push a few fish in, but I don't think the tides are favorable either. I heard the bobber holes up higher were stacked with fish. So, they could be coming in, but just shooting straight up. I picked up 1 a few weeks back and saw many 2 others. Last Thursday I was out there and saw 3 caught at Wheeler and heard 6 total were checked in at Wheeler Marina. Could be just spotty or hit or miss right now. At least you got some crabs to show for your work all day.

Deja

· Registered
3,090 Posts
I was trying to figure out that too. Just curious as to what you meant by that statement? Not that I find it offensive being Vietnamese and all.

I would think the low pressure system this weekend would have push a few fish in, but I don't think the tides are favorable either. I heard the bobber holes up higher were stacked with fish. So, they could be coming in, but just shooting straight up. I picked up 1 a few weeks back and saw many 2 others. Last Thursday I was out there and saw 3 caught at Wheeler and heard 6 total were checked in at Wheeler Marina. Could be just spotty or hit or miss right now. At least you got some crabs to show for your work all day.

Deja
I will tell you what it means, in some certain spots near boneville dam there is a click of vietnamese fellows who always fish that area. And it is hard to dig in that area because those guys only let in folks they know. I know a few of those guys and they are nice folks but it can be intimidating if Joe report chaser tries to dig in the fishing hole. Same group of guys sturgon fish in Oct at the dam as well! Just like anything.

Get in where you fit in!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.