IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the latest and greatest report? Heading over for a couple days, wondering if the jaws are still producing and if the Wheeler/Nehalem area is dependable yet, Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
I fished Nehalem on Monday and not much at all was happening up toward Wheeler and Nehalem. I saw one guide catch a jack, and I heard of one other jack caught by the fish checker. Doesn't mean it won't be good later this week. Good luck!

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I went with Bill the other day... Uh... Wednesday, I think...

The place was ghost like. All of the fish that we'd seen a week ago, jumping through out the system were silent.

We marked a few, here and there, but saw none caught.

We went for a ride, all the way to the railroad bridge looking for bobber biters. Nope!

Of course, we went late in the day. I don't know how the morning went.

Jen

·
Registered
52 Posts
My dad fishes the Wheeler area just about every morning. He has landed 3 in 4 days and lost a couple of others. It has been a purely morning show for him. As he says, we need some rain to turn things on! Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'll be down at Nehalem State Park the weekend of the 20th. I've never fished it before. Can anybody give me some info on what kind of gear to use to fish for salmon. I'm also going to try some crabbing. I'll be in my small Wind River boat (12'Sorenson) so I'll be staying inside in easier water. All info will be deeply appreciated.
:smile:

·
Registered
464 Posts
We are going next weekend to fish and crab. I have never landed a fish there. When we fished the bay we used herring.. Hope it picks up before next weekend..

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
MPT

Closer to the jaws (where I don't think you'll be going) it's almost exclusively a bait (herring) show. The further up stream (above the park)it's mostly rainbow spinners or herring and above the North Fork bobbers and eggs are popular.
Spinners and herring are fished about the same. 48 inch leader with a 24 inch dropper. Spinners need about 3 oz of lead, herring about 6 oz.

Rain is in the forecast so it might turn on.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts