IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information about the bar in Nehalem bay. Things like can it be crossed and if so are there anything’s to look out for. Such as sandbars or it can only be done safely at high tide. I have been out of Tillamook and Newport on a number of occasions so I do have some experience in the ocean but I don’t want to try a new bar with out talking to some one who knows it. Any help from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Be carefull its in the top 3 for worst bars we have. Dont know much more than that as I have never tried it myself. Just know its narrow and has some big big waves at times.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Every time I've seen it, it's just a line of breakers all the way across. I've never gotten all that close.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Nehalem bar is very dangerous, one of the worst. Best time to cross is on the first part of the incoming and be sure to be back in before the tide starts going back out or if the wind picks up. The problem is very shallow water just outside causes the waves to come up very quickly I have graphed 12-14 ft depths just outside. When the tide starts back out you will probably not be able to cross it as the waves ALWAYS come up and break all the way accross. Tillamook is a safer bet if you want to fish outside.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, this bar can be crossed. I've done it in my drift boat with an 8hp merc. Since I'm not insane or lacking any marbles I think I should mention that both the bay, jaws and ocean were table top flat. We were fishing at the jaws and decided to fish outside for a few minutes during low slack. That bar is in my mind worse than the columbia river bar alot of times. When this bar gets going it creates some huge white capped swells that appear to be about 1sec appart for fifty feet. I saw a 23ft boat come through once on a rough bar day that absoutely made me fear for my life and I was jetty fishing. Choose wisely with this bar. Know your tides and speak with people at the fishery to get info. Take care.

SPACE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts