IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone give me an idea what time of year which runs start,where are good areas are ect? any info would be greatly appreciated.

[ 09-29-2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: BonkBonkBonk ]

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
N. Umpqua:
-Springers (April/May)
-Summer Steelhead (June/September)
-Winter Steelhead (December/March)

Rogue:
-Springers March/June
-Summer Steelhead (June/September)
-Fall Steelhead (August/December)
-Fall Chinook (August/October)
-Winter Steelhead (December/March)

·
Registered
52 Posts
What about the half-pounders? I would like to go down and float the new drifter and fish for them (never have)Any tips or ideas of a good day float and strategy for a fly fisher?

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
We are getting them right now in the middle river near Galice. They should be well spread out all the way down to the lower river. Here's a sure-fire technique for catching them on flies. Use a 5 wt. rod. and a floating line. Strip out 35-40 feet of fly line in front of the drift boat, and back ferry working the fly back and forth across the holding water. I use a 6 lb. tippet and the flies that produce best for me are size 10 double hook Red Ant, and Green Killer. If you tie flies e-mail me and I can give you the recipe for them. The fish will slam the flies...so hard it will startle you.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Half-Pounders are the Steelhead rough equivalent of Jack Salmon...however they are not sexually mature and are not on a spawning run like their parents. They range from 12-17" and fight like crazy. The Rogue river and the Klamath River get them in good numbers...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts