IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a pretty poor boyfriend this summer and have only taken the kids fishing once, with no success. I would prefer to take them trout fishing but have very little experience lately with this. I've been fishing the ocean for the last five or so years and have not even thought of trout fishing sence I was about ten.

Any thoughts about where and how to do this stuff again. Please help!!!!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Greg,

Drag your boat down to Detroit and start trolling with Ford Fenders and worms. You're pretty much guaranteed to catch a bunch of planters. Kids go nuts on these little guys.

It's easy, scenic and productive.

When my son (he's now 11 and quite the fisherman with an 85 pound hali under his belt) was about six, I trolled through Detroit and told him he had to reel in the fish because I was busy driving the boat. We had multiple doubles and toward the end of the day, he fell in his seat and announced, "This is the most fun I've ever had in my short life."

It was priceless. I felt like a pretty good Dad at that moment.

Good luck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think you should take the kids over the bar for some coho. Then give the fish to there uncle mike
so he put them in the smoker, and if your nice to him he might give you some back. Just my 02 cents :laugh:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Trillium Lake, bobbers & worms(eggs? powerbait?) off the dam ...

·
Registered
516 Posts
From Portland I would hit Hagg lake. Search this board for trout info and you will find all sorts of tips and gear to use.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You're doing the right thing keeping the kids involved in something so positive. I like Haag Lake. One end of the lake is for skiing, wakes, etc. The other half is a no wake zone. Lots of trout fishing. Also bass, crappie, perch. From a boat use flashers and wedding rings with worm, power bait, or corn for trout. I like using #70 hotshots with a piece of worm or corn. As the day warms up the fish will be deeper. Drop everything a little deeper. Hagg Lake is located just south of Forest Grove heading toward McMinnville.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I would try Roslyn Lake, out of Sandy. They have some nice fish in there too. I think they even release Steelhead into the lake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts