IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have been limping along on iffy steering and trying to make it work. And making uncounted attempts to get the air out. Then it works for a bit on the water and then turning to starboard turns into two or three turns before the motor moves. I have had dual stations before. And I have even bled the air out of a hynautic system after a major leak and repair. But that was a two level setup. The air goes uphill to the top helm and out. This system is two helms level with each other and an autopilot pump. Not the same thing .. lots of places for air to get trapped.

I've googled and read dozens of posts about this issue over many weeks and they all talk about the magic power bleeder pump at the boat shop that cures this problem.

Does anyone out there have a hydraulic steering power bleeder rig I can borrow for a day? I am pretty sure after about three weeks of trying to get the air out of my steering system and two gallons of hydraulic oil that no matter how hard I try it is not going to happen using a hose and a bottle.

I've tried to get into a boat shop. Park it there for three weeks and they might get to it. That's three weeks for sure I will get no further on the rest of the outfit. The guy that did the initial install does not answer his phone or texts to that phone.

I don't see any logic that justifies buying a thousand dollar tool that I will use once.

Help a brother out. Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Man!! I feel you. All I have is a suction (air vacuum) bleeder and I've seen it on brake systems... not ideal...

If possible, I'd loop from suck to push... and feed my own supply... one helm at a time... (or sue the MFG for...)

(This new site is so busy advertising... I can finish a sentence...)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I had Greg's marine bleed my system after replacing my helm pump, they only charged $100 and that included the fluid.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Raider 2496 Suzuki 300 “Black Beast”
1,959 Posts
I had trouble with my Raiders steering system. It took raising the front helm above the rear station and bleeding the rear first, then the front. That said, it took a power bleeder from Mel’s Marine to solve my problem

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
(Not rocket science ... No offence... If you can bleed the bubbles into a reservoir and suck pure fluid... it's as good as bled... Intermediate tank?)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Where are you located at? If you can't find anyone to fix the issue , I had the same problem, but I took it to Alsea Bay Power products in Waldport and they fixed it. My issue was that I was down at Newport and lost all steering. They came up to South Beach and helped me move my boat out of the slip and put it on my trailer and then we took it down to their shop. Give them a call if you want to see about repair time. They might even be able to bleed it at the slip for you.
Good people. Ask for Dave.

gary-30ft. Trophy w/front/back steering and Garmin autopilot

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Gary .. maybe it is different in Oregon, not Portland. Thanks for the tip. I will call the place in Alsea and hope they can do it. PDX area all boat shops are slammed. All I have to do is park in front of a shop and wait an unknown time for them to get to it. Maybe I should call Greggs in Garibaldi also.

I think we designed some air traps into the system by running the controls under the deck. There is about a three foot hump from under the deck to the top of the transom box and down to the motor. It traps air and that stuff does not want to get out.

I think I may bypass everything except the main helm by connecting the hoses directly to the steering ram. If I can bleed that out I won't have to bail on the shrimp trip in only two weeks.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
This system is two helms level with each other and an autopilot pump. Not the same thing .. lots of places for air to get trapped.
You need a 'T-valve' to atmosphere at the uppermost helm (or nearby).
The 'bubble' will never press down from there.

·
Premium Member
17,955 Posts
Don't know if this helps or not. I just had the pump and both rams rebuilt on my cat. Just one helm but it flows through a Simrad auto pilot. Followed a youtube where you hang a quart of fluid going into the helm and punch a hole in the bottom. Run tubing from the ram(s) to push fluid into the quart bottle. Then run your wheel lock to lock and flow fluid full cycle for a while. Let it rest and then go again. Eventually all of the air is purged.

There are better faster ways if you can get someone with a pump to do your system. My sympathies. Before rebuilding the hydraulics if I had a quartering wind I spent the whole trip constantly turning the wheel into it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Stupid question. But could you disconnect one station and get that to bleed so you can at least use the boat while working on a long term solution. Don't wanna miss out on those beautiful prawns....

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I use a Motivve Power bleeder on my trailer brakes. Works fantastic. They also make vacuum extracted systems. Might work on your power steering. They are about $60. Give them a call.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We did that for days. I got a phone call this morning and the boat is at the shop now. They have the skills and I am grateful. As I am reminded by one of our gang at times

"Nothing is ****ed DUDE!"

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Right! It's a matter of mind over matter; nothing more.

There's no mechanical problem w/o a solution and I'm simply glad you shared ... so I also can imagine the implications.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
It’s actually a matter of your buddy getting you into the boat shop on short notice chuckle.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's looking like bad new parts. I just dropped off two new helm pumps replaced on Warranty. Might get some news tomorrow. Hate seeing the not even commissioned yet boat backed up to a boat shop.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts