IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have done a lot of fishing but not much catching. (last year I even got skunked and I don't want that to happen again). I don't have a boat or very much time and I don't know the area all that well. I'm looking for a spot that I can go to after work where I don't have to go through Portland traffic. Any ideas? Also if you have any suggestions on how to fish the spot or what lures to use, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevlar

·
Registered
448 Posts
Fred Meyers, I here, has a good hole. The only problem is you have to pay $4.99 a pound but you are guaranteed a fish. They are having problems with malachite green though.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
(just kidding)

Why not come over to the clackamas and try for coho? Traffic does suck on the way over but shouldn't be bad on the way home. If you find your own little backroads, its not that bad at all. I've seen them rolling around the mouth and I'm going to throw some spinners at them in the am.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Kevlar,

Where have you been fishing? And what for? I'm a fellow Hillsboro IFish'er and assuming you're not a serial killer (can you ever be sure? :grin: ) I could take you out on a trip to the Wilson river, and show you around a little bit. Though, It's not quite the right time of year yet. Once the rains start up, it will chocked full of Salmon. And the steelhead might actually start biting again...

PM me if you want to go out some time.

--Skahorse

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m an Electrical Engineer. (So now you know I’m not a serial killer right?) :smile:

I’m mostly interested in salmon fishing now, but I’d be very happy to fish for Steelhead or even trout. Two years ago I had a lot more time to fish and I made my way out to the Sandy River a few times. I caught a pretty nice silver up there. Someone told me to go out to the Trask last year (at least I think it was) where it was like battle fishing (shoulder to shoulder). I’ve done most of my fishing in a small creek for trout (up in WA) so I'm a pretty decent caster, etc but I’m still not particularly comfortable with my salmon fishing skills. Needless to say, I didn’t want to mistakenly tick anyone off so I tried to stay clear of the good fishing hole where everyone else was packed in like sardines. If I had someone to tell me what to do and what not to do, I wouldn’t mind squeezing in on the good holes. Two weeks ago, I went to the mouth of the Deschutes River. I got there Friday night and everyone said they were knocking em’ dead. Some people showed me their salmon and some claimed they were around 40lbs. Others had Steelhead and one was 29 inches. I was so psyched to go fishing and then the water turned white with silt over night. There were very few fish caught the whole weekend and I was skunked once again. :depressed: Last weekend, my father took me to the Carbon river in WA. However, even at 4:30AM, the shore was absolutely packed with people already. Fish were still being caught but I fished for about ½ hour and got tangled in peoples lines 3 times and decided to leave. I didn’t feel too bad because everyone else was getting tangled with one another too (I’m not that bad at fishing :smile: ). I’ve also tried some other rivers in WA and OR but didn’t have much luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by ScottyV:

Why not come over to the clackamas and try for coho? Traffic does suck on the way over but shouldn't be bad on the way home. If you find your own little backroads, its not that bad at all. I've seen them rolling around the mouth and I'm going to throw some spinners at them in the am.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">An out of place Canadian here, and I'm trying to get back into fishing, and I too am out in Beaverton. Is there a place to park near the mouth of the Clack, and where eactly is it? Off 205 I beleive right?

And by spinners, are you talking a Mepps, or what exactly? I wouldn;t mind taking a scouting trip down there soon to see what goes on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I too am in the Bvrtn area and will hook up with anyone else who wants to car pool over to where ever they are biting, I also have a boat that will fish 3 but my truck will only fit 2 maybe 3 if you squeeze in the back jump seats

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Take the first exit after you cross the 205 bridge going north and stay to the right , then turn left across from Fishermans marine supply, that will take you to Clackamette park. There is usually parking there.Never fished it but launched there many times. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Ah, love that cross town traffic. If you do it right, you can get to the clackamas fairly easy, even in rush hour. Take the road that runs up the south side of the river and your set. I usually fish alone but would love to go with some "westsiders". What the heck, serial killers need to fish too....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, us westsiders should head out sometime. I'm heading to Rainier tomorrow for some chinook fishing... sometime though.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Go to Clackamette Park.

Go east on I-205 from I-5. Get off at exit 9 at Oregon City. Go north one block, turn left at McDonald's. Turn right at the river and go a couple of blocks to the entrance of the park. If you go under the McGloughlin bridge, you've gone too far. The boat ramp is at the north end of the park, a couple hundred yards from the mouth of the Willamette.

There are coho in there, but not in good numbers yet.

SKP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks SKP! I'll be sure to make it there now, it's rare to venture to the NE, let alone down south... I need to leave my burb more often :smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aren't there any spots to fish the Columbia from shore? Maybe from Sauvie Island or something? That would probably be a short enough trip to take after work. Any other closer spots?

Thanks for all your replys.

Kevlar

·
Registered
266 Posts
There are several beaches off Sauvie Island that are good for spring chinook, but the fall fish tend to run deeper, making it harder to catch from the bank.

If you do decide to give it a try, you can take Cornelius Pass Road across to Highway 30. Like others have already pointed out, the Wilson is a lot of fun to fish, and is suprisingly close to Beaverton.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've talked with a few people and it sounds like the early fish are already way past the mouth. I've heard that there are a few dark ones around but thats about it. I was supposed to go this morning but my kids and the kids my wife watch have had the stomach flu. (I was up until 3:00 with my youngest) But, Prospect1999 went this morning. It will be interesting to hear if he had any luck.

I may run up to eagle creek and will post up if there are any there.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you want to learn how to bobber fish for fall chinook then go to the Hospital hole on the Trask river. The hole is next to the Tillamook hospital. You pay 3 dollars to fish the property and its every bit worth it. Go and observe what everyone else is doing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Kevlar, I live in Aloha and am fully retired and am able to fish during the week. i used to fish the Sandy and Clack. email me if you want to get together

Tom AKA "Rubber Hooks"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts