IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reservations at Olsen's starting this Sunday in Sekiu.
Has anyone heard how fishing's been up there lately?
I have not been to Sekiu in many years, but want to take my 81 year old dad up there, as it's his favorite place to fish in the world. I live in Oregon and he's in Olympia...we used to spend a lot of time up there when I was growing up. Normally it's a great place to be in Sept. and I'm sure there will be fish.

Are the humpy's still there, or have they pretty much passed by?

Looks like the weather is going to break towards the end of the week, so that part should cooperate.
Appreciate any feedback....Thanks.

[ 09-09-2003, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: bullhead ]

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hey Bullhead - hoping that someone answers the call for Sekiu fishing report since we're heading that way also. Team Moose Drool will be there in force next week Wednesday and will fish for several days. :dance:

I also have fond memories of the area - I lived and worked just down the road from there at Lake Ozette back in the mid-1970's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a post from another board that should put a smile on your face.

Fished Sekiu last Thurs-Fri and the coho fishing was happening, especially Thursday. Probably brought to the boat 50 coho, one humpy and one king (20 pounds, hooked in the side!!) in the two days. Biggest coho was about 15 pounds and had others 10 and 12. Also saw an 18-pounder at the dock Thursday and others in the 10-14 pounds range. Mark rate was excellent, with about 60 percent of the fish lacking an adipose. Coho were smaller on Friday, at least the pockets we got into, ranging 3 to 7 pounds. Troll 15 to 50 feet and fast to avoid the humpies and target coho. Should get even better over the next three weeks

Sounds like you and your dad should have a great time!

·
Registered
46 Posts
[
Yes, I should correct my self... when I said caught and boated kings, I needed to say released next to the boat also.... That was the trouble we had, not only did we loose time wrestling with the kings, they took our bait also. :rolleyes:

[ 09-09-2003, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Weeler Dealer ]

·
Registered
46 Posts
We were at Sekiu 29, 30, and 31 August. There were more fish than you could shake a pole at. The first day, Friday, early in the morning was great, but then the fog rolled in, and our big motor stopped working. That day the three of us only caught 5-6 fish, 2 Silvers and 3-4 Humpies. We went out a couple times in afternoon and evening, but no luck. Saturday we knocked them dead, limited out and were off the water by 8:00 A.M. 12 salmon about 4-5 Silvers. Sunday, we had trouble, we hooked and boated about 10 Kings before we caught a keeper. We limited out again on Sunday by 9:00 and headed back to Spokane.
While we were there, the "bite" seemed to be on from daylight to about 9:00 A.M., then things seemed to stop for us. We used cut herring behind a flasher (3') and trolled 10' - 15' deep with downrigger. Also herring with sinker (no flasher worked) with no down rigger. Hoochies worked also. About 1/3 of the fish were keepable silvers. Hope you find this helpful, and I hope the fish are still there!! Keep a tight line!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
In a word.......HOT!!! Was just e mailed some pics from a friend that was there this past weekend. Couldn't keep 2 rods in the water. Right now the limit is still 4, 2 of which may be hatchery silvers. Make sure you release ANY kings you catch and do your C & R'ing IN THE WATER. That is the reg this year and I hear that they are enforcing it. Doesn't matter what you are using herring, hooches, spoons, they are all working. We are going for 5 days next week and I am just stoked!!! There will be a bunch of folks there from the steelheader.net board from the 17th through the 21st.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bullhead
Here's yet another report.
Dogfish is right if you have the time. I spent last weekend at Sekiu and when we got home my 9 year old son said to me " Dad, my arm muscles are sore". That is about all I needed to hear to know that it was an awesome weekend. I could not simply keep up with the fish and they were no more than 20 feet. Most of the time I was holding the line and before getting to the release ... the flasher was flying high.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good Reports. We will be arriving on Thursday morning the 18th. We will be putting up a wall tent so stop in and say hello. The Team Moose Drool boys should be in prime form.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Denali,
Where are you staying?? We will be at the Coho. Maroon and silver Ford with a Lance Camper. Stop and say hi, we will be at the opposite end of the campground from the office.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Jeffhead,
Team Moose Drool will be at Olsen's. Born to Fish and I are staying in his camper, Denali and 2 others are staying in a wall tent. We should be easy to find...just look for a stack of empty Moose Drool bottles. :grin:

I'll have my 22' Alumaweld V-Sled, ifish stickers on the sides. I'll monitor 68. Denali will be in his Duckworth PACIFIC Silver Wing.

[ 09-11-2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Mojo ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Sorry Bro...I didn't mean to degrade your ride. I guess I owe you a beer for that one :grin: .

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Bullhead,
Post a report anyway. I'll be leaving Tuesday evening. I'm getting a little excited already.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the reports so far, and please keep them coming. Team Moose Drool doesn't mobilize until Tuesday (Idaho reps) and Wednesday (Spokane reps) so there's still plenty of time to share reports and help raise the anticipation level. :dance: As Denali said, we'll be on the water Thursday morning, and we'll be fishing through the weekend.

Besides the salmon, we'll also be giving the bottomfish a try, and maybe set out a couple crab pots (hear there is some crabbing off the mouth of the Sekei or Clallam Rivers). Any suggestions or advice in that regard would be most welcome.

Going to be good times and hope that ifishers in the area will either stop by our camp or get in touch with us on the water.

Tight lines all!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the report...We will be up there Sunday - Tuesday morning...Hope to run into some of you there. :smile:

·
Registered
128 Posts
How come I keep reading reports like the above and then read the following fish report from the Seattle Times:
• Van Riper's Resort, Sekiu — 27 boats with 67 anglers Sunday caught 50 coho, averaging 8 pounds, and 43 pinks, 5 pounds.

• Olson's Resort ramp, Sekiu — 91 boats with 254 anglers Saturday caught 198 coho, 8 pounds, 87 pinks, 5 pounds, and eight kelp greenling.

• Silver King Resort, Pillar Point — 10 boats with 23 anglers Saturday caught 17 coho, 8 pounds, and six pinks, 5 pounds; 17 boats with 39 anglers Sunday caught 38 coho, 8 pounds, and 27 pinks, 5 pounds.

These reports are decent but it seems like they should be "100 anglers caught 400 fish" given all the glowing reports given here and on the Seattle based forums.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think maybe some of the reports are by fishermen. Do you suppose thay might sometimes exagerate?

Looks to me like the fishing is decent. I note the weekly report by Olson's Resort, which is usually over the top optomistic, noted that they have been having a few "slow" days.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Maybe some of the folks that are fishing up there are rookies, don't have the right gear, or are in boats that limit where they can fish. Just like anything else, there are bound to be slower days and better days. Weather can also play a big part in things. I have an aquaintance that's been up at Seiku for a while, and his reports are "some days you get quick limits, and some days you have to fish hard 'till noon or 2 in the afternoon." He also reports that there are a lot of non-clipped fish, and sometimes it takes 6 or 7 fish to get your 2 fish coho limit.

I have to think that if everyone was getting a limit 15 minutes after leaving the harbour, there would be 750,000 boats leaving the port of Seiku daily. It is fishing after all...

·
Registered
568 Posts
MB,
I have had reports from good friends of mine that have been there over the last couple of weeks and in the words of one of them "the fishing is better than I have ever seen it at Sekiu". He has been there many times. Last year when we were there the first 3 days were what I would call slow for Sekiu, we only boated about 20 fish a day with only 4 or 5 of those being hatchery. The last morning was what Sekiu can be like, for 4 hours we did not go more than 5 minutes without a fish on. Still we did not "limit" the boat as again the majority were "nates". For me it is not a matter of filling the freezer, it is the opportunity to catch more fish in a day than most folks will catch in a year. That is why we go there every year. It is a great vacation with the fishing being pretty good most of the time. True story from a few years ago. My Dad and I were out and had a great morning, non-stop fish. When we got back to the dock a couple of gentleman asked us how we did and after we told them they couldn't believe it, they had not touched a fish at all. Now this is not to brag but just point out what Mojo said, it does take the right knowledge and gear even in a "easy" fishery. Geez I read the reports from Bouy 10 and shake my head cause I stink it up when I go there. I passed on B 10 to fish the sound this year cause I know I can catch fish there. Oh well, see you guys next week. I be on channel 68 and listening for ya.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts