IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 1/2' Willie Predator open sled that I bought used about 4 years ago. It was mostly kept in the water and was on a 1 axle trailer.

Since I bought it I have put on a bigger main motor, kicker, seats and other stuff that all add weight.

I have pretty bad tire wear (even with good tires) and it seems like it is just too much weight for a single axle.

I'd like a two axle trailer. Although I fabricate for a living, I don't really like the idea of whackin up mine and fabbing new running boards, guides, etc. I'm considering buying a new trailer.

Any comments?

Who has an aluminum trailer? How yah like it?

If I buy a new one, I'll want to sell my old one.
:shrug:
Thanks,

GRB

[ 05-23-2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Gun Rod Bow ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
GRB,

I have a Zieman dual axle, dual brake sled trailer. Weighs 1400 lbs with a 5600# capacity. Boat is 22'.

I'm looking for an aluminum trailer with 6000# capacity, hopefully about 800#. Trying to knock 1,000# off my current 6,900# trailer/boat load. Making sure the tank is near empty knocks off another 500#.

If I can find an aluminum sled trailer, new or used, the Zieman might be what you are looking for

Aluminum trailers seem hard to find so be curious to see what folks recommend to you.

I love the NorthRiver aluminum trailers. Wish I could get them to make me one for my boat.

Brion

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would look at the trailers that are very low to the ground. Makes getting the boat on and off the trailer alot easier. I have a tandum "Tricker Trailer" under my Weldcraft. Great trailer and gravel bar launches are a breeze with the low ride hieght.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Bruce,

I sure like my Rogue trailer. Galvinized and seems to be a perfect match for the Willie with 4 slides and a great rail system. Well, you know, you've seen it. It is a 2001.

Don't know what they run but the boat tracks really well under tow with a full load.

You definitely need a tandem with brakes.

Good luck!

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

Are Tricker or Baker aluminum or galvinized?

I like the Zieman, paintede steel, good looking, low profile trailer but too heavy for me.

I got the Zieman instead of the King that "came with" the boat...glad I did.

Brion

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
These guys have aluminum trailers, but I don't know anybody that has one.

Champion Trailers

[ 05-24-2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Even if you have a sled, I'd spend the extra money to get rollers. A lot easier to load and unload and makes winching a heck of a lot easier. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
803 Posts
GRB, I too had tire troubles with my outfit.I've got a 22' Starcraft with a 350 small block in it, on a single axle Caulkins trailer. I broke the oe two leaf springs, replaced them with 3 leaf and broke those also. The four leaf springs seem to be OK for now. I also was having tire troubles so I took it in to Les Schwab and told them to "put something on there that will hold up". They did. TOYO trailer tires. The kind the ranchers use on their horse trailers. No Problems since that time. It's been about 7 or 8 years ago. Kind of spendy but cheaper than a new trailer. Good Luck.... sal

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The optional aluminum trailors under the the North Rivers are awsome. Not sure of the make though.

[ 05-25-2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Pirate ]

·
Registered
382 Posts
EZ-loader is now making aluminun trailers.
Download their brochure in PDF format from their site....Page 14

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
1pump and RightAngle,

Thanks for the links to the aluminum trailers. I'd save about 400#, plus 500# on the fuel...that's reduce the tow weight by 900# which would get me down to 80% of the vehicle two capacity.

Brion

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I've got a galvanized EZ-Loader trailer and I like it. It's light weight and seems to pull well.

RF

·
Premium Member
22,175 Posts
Why don't you try calling Willie and ask about Baker Trailers? My 96 used Willie came with a galvanized, but dunno how they handle things from the factory. I'd be a little concerned about rollers on a sled in any configuration. That's a lot of potentially bumpy aluminum...I am gonna try LS, though, for those trailer tires...well worth it...

[ 05-26-2003, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: Bill Monroe ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Keta,

Aluminum isn't the best material to build trailers out of.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">If you saw the welded, polished Aluminum trailers North River builds you'd change your mind <grin>.

I'd get more compliments on the trailer than the boat when I'd pull in for gas.

And it worked so suuuweeet. The trailer just pulled the boat right up onto it like an aluminum magnet.

I might talk to them in the fall, when biz gets slow, and see if they'd do a trailer for my Boulton.

Brion

·
Registered
303 Posts
Keta,
Tell us more about why AL is not a good material for trailers. I heard someone else say the same thing yet I see them out there all over the place. I believe there are tons of them in the SE USA especially around salt water.
Thinking about fabbing up a dual axle AL to replace my single galvanized.
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Mr. Carp, I guess it is just my weekend to disagree with you!! :grin: I had rollers for my first sled and it was a pain. If you were PERFECTLY straight on line, yah it would winch easy or easier. But, if you got crooked, big hassle. The UHMW is so nice because you just power on and it is self leveling. Even if you are crooked, it will level out down the road. Just my $.02. :smile: You want a Sportjet with a roller trailer? :laugh: Just kidding.

Green Machine

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
I have heard that some aluminum trailers can float, probably if they are made too much from tubing w/o enough holes but I still want one.

Whatever you do, I would recommend a torsion flex axle, much better ride for the boat than leaf springs.

Biederboat

1 - 20 of 25 Posts