IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to go fishing tommorow,but I went to look at my boat to see if there was a rock stuck in it and why it was louder and well I found the problem.My pump housing some how came loose and the bolts came out.One is stuck in the impeller.So how do I get them tight?? :shrug: I've never worked on one before and have no clue.This is my first boat.So If anyone can help me I'll take it wherever I have to and pay somebody to help me.I just really wanted to go tommorow :whazzup: If you have some input on this it would be great!!Thanx!!

[ 06-13-2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: justcastn ]

·
Registered
602 Posts
I dont know if this is correct but i was told you need to put lock tight which is some type of
tightener like glue you put on the thread of the bolts when putting them on. it keeps them from coming loose

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought but someone must of forgot :shocked: But I don't know how to get to the bolts??

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh forget it :shrug: One of the bolts that hold the pump housing is bent from the impeller

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
If you use Loctite, make sure the threads are clean. Loctite makes a product called Kleen-n-Prime which activates the Loctite so it will work like it should. If you use the red Loctite, don't overdo it and squirt the stuff all over the place. You'll never get it apart again if you do. Sometimes it works too well.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If it were me, I'd re-do all the bolts. Carefull, they are not all the same length though. Go with the high quality stainless, well spent $$. Yes, the 242 Locktite and I always used lock washers, just make sure they are not too thick. If you have a bolt stuck in your impellor, I'm surprised you boat would even move!! You might check to see if you have one left. :depressed: LOL

Green Machine

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I guess I didn't notice the other paragraph. To get to the bolts, first you have to remove the shoe of the pump. Next the impellor has to be removed, but be CAREFULL and note the order of washers to shim the impellor. Slide the impellor off and DO NOT lose the key to hold it on the spline. From here you should see the four bolts to hold the housing to the lower unit. This was how my Yamaha was set up, but should be similar. Let us know if you need more help.

Green Machine

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I ended up taking it to a friend.I couldn't get the impeller of last night because it was seized on.And yes, the guy thats fixing it, is going to replace all the bolts with stainless.And locktite.
I also was suprised it went anywhere.It happened when I started to come up the mouth of the sandy back to Lewis and Clark.Luckily it made it :shocked: Well at least I know my battery is still good.I wondered why it wouldn't start when I tried to load it
At least I know a little bit more about it now.And I have to admit when I first posted about it being loud everybody had it right on,there was definitly something stuck in it
Thank you everybody for the help!!
And Worldlyme I owe ya for helping me on the phone last night!!Maybe a little hog fish'n :wink: :grin:

[ 06-14-2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: justcastn ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
...and here I thought this was an ad for a gas station attendant.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Loc Tite (Permatex Corp.)can be found at some automotive stores and bearing supply stores. You want the blue (242) stuff.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If you the impeller is still siezed when you read this, Try turning over the motor backwards to dislodge that bolt. To do that unhook all the spark plugs wires and turn the motor over by hand by turning the fly wheel on top of the motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts