IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the wood floor boards in my 1983 Koffler drift boat. Do I need to use marine plywood or is exterior grade good enough? I plan to paint it with floor paint which should help seal it. Boat is stored indoors. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You could use exterior plywood if you want to save a few bucks. There are a couple of differences between marine and exterior plywood. Marine plywood has more plys for a given thickness and it is not allowed to have any voids in the interior plys. This is so it can be bent around a fairly tight radius without fracturing or creating any hidden stress areas. The glue is the same though. Exterior plywood will stand up quite well without delaminating. I wouldn't worry at all about putting it on the floor of a boat.

However, as an extra precaution, whatever you use, I would precut the plywood to fit, then coat the entire thing with a coat or two of marine epoxy. You can paint over the epoxy if you like, or leave it natural. Then go ahead and install the new floor. That way you can be absolutely sure that you won't have any problems down the road.

[ 06-04-2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Woody ]

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You're welcome, It just feels good to help out here on ifish. :dance: What comes around, goes around.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Follow what woody has to say.

:bowdown: A guy that builds his own wood
boat, Has got alot of wisdom
under his belt. :bowdown:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts