IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 4th weekend. Father in law has house on inlet in Shelton. I pull new boat from Roseburg. Put boat in water. Where can I expect to find some bottom fish....salmon....whatever in the sound?....Very foreign territory for me!

Any help appreciated!

Kurt

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
South of Ayock Point will be open for salmon on July 1. Expect some pinks (try pink jigs.) You might also pick up a chinook. I have a good spot (GPS #'s) for Copper Rockfish if you want to try that. It's a half hour run north. Let me know and I will email it.

Crabbing has been very good.

Ling cod will be closed.

You can check Larry's Fishing Report HERE

Enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Lake Safeway would be your best bet....actually, call Narrows Marina in Tacoma as they have the best handle on fishing in the South Sound.

Located closer to Shelton, you might call Zittel's Marina in Olympia as they are located on Johnson's Point. They will also be a decent resource, although I have found them to be a bit snobbish.

Pt. Defiance Boat House in Tacoma is also a good resource, but it located farther north.

I can tell you that besides the fishing the South Sound is great for just plain boating. Take Hammersley Inlet from Shelton (preferably on a high tide)to take a day trip around Hartstene Island. You can stop in at the north end of the island at the marina for food, replenishments, gas, whatever. It's a great trip to do. Take the passage between Squaxin and Hartstene Islands as you come out of the South Sound.

The whole South Sound is very protected water and you can pick numerous day trips to take up to and around Tacoma and back. I would stay south of the Narrows Bridge, but it's kind of cool to run under the bridge. The area's around Wollochet Bay, Horsehead Bay, and Fox, McNeil, and Anderson Islands is all great. The main marina's are Boston Harbor outside of Olympia....Zittel's at Johnson Pt., Steilacoom Marina, and Narrows Marina in South Tacoma.

Go explore it all...I grew up in Tacoma and Olympia area and miss boating up there.

have fun! You really can't miss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts