IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a boat yesterday--haven't picked it up yet (still setting over in N. Ptld). The problen is that my truck has a round 4 plug-in but the boat trailor takes a flat 4. The guy I bought it from said that I could buy an adapter at Uhaul but they didn't have them. I tried several other places-no luck. One place said they don't make such an adapter. I got all the stuff I need to make my own but I don't know which pin controls what on the trailer's flat 4. The 1st is the ground (the bare one) but what does 2 control & 3
& 4??? It would sure help if I had the trailer here. Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
GI Joes or Shucks would be my guess. Or the ford dealer. I know they exist, my buddy has one.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I have seen the adapters at auto parts stores as well. You could also figure out what goes where pretty easily with a circuit tester (cheap).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jetsled, THANX a million (I mean, Gazillion)--
just the info I was looking for!! :dance: I love this site.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Micro -

I've made some different adapters for different rig/trailer trailer hookups, and I think I have one that will work in your situation until you can make one yourself. Shoot me a message if you want to borrow it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
12 mi welding at 224 and stark can also fix you up - great guys - everything in store on sale right now because they are closing at end of month

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
Wal-mart has a huge selection for all kind of rigs

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
That is generally the wire colors and the corresponding function. :wink: A cheap voltage tester works wonders for stuff like this and is a cheap tool.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Never expect a trailer to be wired to any standard. Take your jumper cables, hook the ground the trailer, use the hot side on each of the other sockets. A nail clamped in the hot side makes this easy. Have someone stand behind the trailer and tell you what lights up. Remember that your brake and turns are the same circut. This is the redneck (and most rv mechanics) "cheap circut testor".

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WMB---Thanks for the offer but I've got mine all made up. I'm supposed to pick up my new (to me)
boat at 4:00 today but maybe I'll wait 'til tomorrow. I don't really want to tow it in the rain (boats aren't supposed to get wet, are they? :smile: )
DiveR---12 mi. welding is the first place that told me that they don't make a round 4 to flat 4
adapter.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hey, they are trailer lights and they will only work when they want to, in whatever combination they feel like on any given day. Just drive in the daylight and wave a flag out the driver's side window to signal your intentions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if you've got it all squared away yet, but perhaps I can help. Round 4 plugs often get wired wrong. U-Haul has the adapter you are looking for at $12.95 if I remember correct. The end that plugs into the truck is a circle cut into 4 sections. You can set the wires to match how it is wired on your rig. The flat 4 has led's on top of the plug so you'll know when it's right. The wiring code is: Yellow-left turn, Green-right turn, brown-tail/running lights, white-ground. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Why screw around with an adapter at all? :hoboy: Pointless, IMHO. It ain't brain surgery. Wire the trailer with the round 4-pin to match your tow rig and be done with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts