IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a prime grade brisket from Costco before the meat craze caused prices to soar. It’s been in my freezer too long. I’ve only tried smoking a brisket once, years ago, and I bear the shame like an albatross around my neck to this day.

I have an electric smoker, not a pellet, so keep that in mind. I’m a burnt ends fan as well.

Any brisket gurus out there? Looking for rub options and techniques.

· Registered
863 Posts
I do a 1 to 1 ratio salt to pepper and add garlic powder with that.
I use a Weber kettle and a charcoal chain setup. You can see the charcoal chain or snake method on YouTube.
I add pecan wood and smoke at 250°-275°. You want to reach 195°-205° meat temp and it should probe with no resistance (probe tender). Also I wrap the brisket in butcher paper or tin foil when I like how it looks. That is usually around the stall temp of 150°-160°.
Briskets are random on how long. Some take 9 hours and I have had them go 18 hours.
I also stack a grate on a grate with a big green egg 19” drip pan.
When the brisket is done, you can keep it wrapped and put it in a cooler for a few hours.
The same time and temp should be able to be done on an electric or pellet smoker if kept at 250°-275°.
See the pictures below. And that much pecan wood added is a little too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
7,717 Posts
It's all about the temps and using butcher paper. (not the plastic coated stuff !)
If you use foil your bark won't be as tight.
Here's a 16 hour cook on a full brisket...
Macolm Reed from Memphis (Killer Hogs BBQ Team) has some great (and easy) recipes.

· Registered
7,717 Posts
I bought a prime grade brisket from Costco before the meat craze caused prices to soar. It’s been in my freezer too long. I’ve only tried smoking a brisket once, years ago, and I bear the shame like an albatross around my neck to this day.

I have an electric smoker, not a pellet, so keep that in mind. I’m a burnt ends fan as well.

Any brisket gurus out there? Looking for rub options and techniques.
What is this "electric smoker" ?

· Registered
6,674 Posts
I do a 1 to 1 ratio salt to pepper and add garlic powder with that.
I use a Weber kettle and a charcoal chain setup. You can see the charcoal chain or snake method on YouTube.
I add pecan wood and smoke at 250°-275°. You want to reach 195°-205° meat temp and it should probe with no resistance (probe tender). Also I wrap the brisket in butcher paper or tin foil when I like how it looks. That is usually around the stall temp of 150°-160°.
Briskets are random on how long. Some take 9 hours and I have had them go 18 hours.
I also stack a grate on a grate with a big green egg 19” drip pan.
When the brisket is done, you can keep it wrapped and put it in a cooler for a few hours.
The same time and temp should be able to be done on an electric or pellet smoker if kept at 250°-275°.
See the pictures below. And that much pecan wood added is a little too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice👍🏻

· Registered
8,040 Posts
I really like this recipe, only change is to put it in a foil pan when wrapped in butchers paper for the stall and finish. It's pretty simple and the best I've done.

· Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like this recipe, only change is to put it in a foil pan when wrapped in butchers paper for the stall and finish. It's pretty simple and the best I've done.
That‘s funny, this is the same site I found yesterday and bookmarked.

One big question, fat side up or down? My smoker is a Masterbuilt, with the heat on the bottom. Most of what I’m reading suggests fat side toward the heat. The fat will shield the meat from the heat and prevent it from drying out.

What says the ifish experts?

· Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fat Side Up
Pro: It makes perfect sense. Put a 14-pound brisket in the smoker and pull out 11 pounds of meat (or thereabouts) 15 to 20 hours later. There is also a drip pan full of melted beef fat. If the brisket is placed fat side up, all this melting fat will pour over and through the brisket, keeping it moist.

Con: Meat is not a sponge. Yes, it will absorb moisture (think brining) in small amounts as long as the circumstances are right, like a low temperature, salt content, and the right PH. The fat from the melting cap is going to pour around the meat and drip off the bottom. This action will wash off much of your spice rub.

Fat Side Down
Pro: Heat rising over the brisket is the primary source of drying. By using the fat cap of the brisket as a shield between the intense heat of the fire and the delicate meat, you'll end up with a more tender brisket with a lot less surface drying.

Con: There are two kinds of heat inside your smoker. There is the heated air (hopefully smoky) convecting around the inside of the smoker and doing the majority of the cooking. Then there is the radiant heat; radiant heat travels in a straight line and heats anything it runs into.

Radiant heat will dry out meat quickly. Most smokers do not allow radiant heat to hit the brisket. The flow of air (convection) around the brisket draws off a lot of moisture, but smokers work by getting the air to flow around the brisket, and if you measure the air temperature around the brisket, you will find it very consistent so as hot on the top as on the bottom.

Why cook brisket fat side up?
Advocates of cooking fat side up claim that the fat will “melt” into the meat, making it moist and juicy.

However, this is a myth.

The truth is that meat cannot absorb fat. Instead, the fat melts and runs off the meat into the drip pan, taking any seasoning you may have put on the meat with it.

Going fat side down.

SPG for the rub, KISS.

Reactions: DirectDrive

· Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brisket went into the smoker at 6:20 this morning.

How long should I keep adding wood chips for smoke? I’ve read that meat doesn’t absorb smoke much past 3 hours. No sense in wasting chips, and my wife doesn’t like a really smokey taste anyways.

· Registered
937 Posts
1 ½ Cups water 1.5 cups
2/3 cup Butcher BBQ Brisket injection 2 scoops
¼ cup Butcher BBQ Prime dust ¼ cup
¼ cup Cajun seasoning. ¼ cup
Place Brisket in Tub Inject Brisket, Coat with any remaining. Cover Tub. Rest in fridge at least 12 hours.
Pull from tub and Coat brisket liberally with preferred rub, Tradewinds Special Blend Steak and Chop Rub, Chubacabra Brisket seasoning. Traeger Beef Rub, Prime Rib Rub, or salt & pepper. 11/10/20 First Street Steak and Chop Rub 03/08/2022 Mesquite BBQ Rub
Cook fat side down at 225 until IT reaches 160°. (5-7 hrs.) (9.5hrs.)
DBL wrap in foil or butcher paper and place back in grill until the IT reaches 204°. (another 2.5-4 hrs.)
(Consensus to wrap and not use a pan. Moisture needs to be wrapped in tight for a good finish)
Remove and rest in cooler wrapped in towels for 5.5 hrs. 1 hr. Still at 150° after 5.5 hr rest.
Cut and serve.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.